Chautauqua Lake weed article

Thanks for posting. More people need to be informed of whats going on. This is a very important topic for me and several friends. Chautauqua is my home lake and my favorite place to fish in the US for muskies. Unless Im in Canada, I fish the lake for muskies at least every weekend from the opener in May until November.

Here is a link to the Johnson-Racine study that was done and paid for CLA. The south end was pretty much an algae bathtub last year...very few weeds left.

https://alleghenyvoice.com/third-party-report-radical-detrimental-changes-in-chautauqua-lake/

Here is a more recent article. It’s good news the DEC is involved. I hope they only approve reduced herbicide use.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/01/29/editorial-dec-needs-to-get-into-the-weeds-of-chautauqua-lake/

Killing all the weeds in the south end, expanding herbicide use further north, and altering native habitat has to have a negative long term impact on the fishery. The Chautauqua Lake Association (CLA) is on our side. The Chautauqua Lake Partnership (CLP) wants a big swimming pool with no weeds. They are the enemy. It’s my hope that the DEC limits or reduces the approved herbicide use of the last coupe years before the damage to the lake gets beyond repair. I’m not sure what, if anything, us fisherman can do to help make sure the lake and fishery remain healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Thanks 1

Herbicide use has been a problem on Waneta and Lamoka Lakes for many years done by the same company SOLitude Lake Management. Over the last 10 years, more years than not you were hard pressed you find any weeds in Waneta Lake. In 2019, weeds in Waneta were very limited even though according to the Lamoka Waneta Lakes' Association website, they only used herbicides in Lamoka Lake. The herbicide used there in 2019 was a newly NYS approved herbicide called ProcellaCOR, which they say (they being the herbicide maker SePro) is more selective, reduced risk according to EPA (an agency of questionable integrity), supposedly lasts up to 4 years among other claims. I am not yet sure if it is liquid or granular. They say, like all their other herbicides (which they seem to have a monopoly on) those who apply them have to be certified by the company. I wonder how in depth the certification is.

So it remains to be seen how this new herbicide will affect the lake if they continue to use it. And since it is another variable added to what has already been done there, it might be very difficult or impossible to determine cause of any long term trends. Since this is something new, most likely SOLitude will be promoting the use of it in Chautauqua Lake.

It is hard to tell for sure how much the herbicides have affected the musky fishery since there may also be other factors, but there have definitely been changes. And from what I have heard from anglers who target other species, their success has gone down.

Maybe the problem with Chautauqua Lake was the ability of the applicators to maintain control of the application to limit collateral damage. I heard they used a liquid and it seems like they were originally planning on using a granular form of the herbicide.

Glad to see you guys posting this info.  Fishermen need to read that Racine Johnson study as it confirms what we saw on our fish finders last year in the south basin with almost total lack of vegetation.  I normally fish the south basin for walleye until late June and last year even with our cold May weather had to go North by May 25th to find a weed line to fish.  It will be interesting to see what CLP plans for 2020, but will likely be another large request for acreage to be sprayed.  It seems the people pushing the herbicide are both well funded and politically connected which is a tough combination for the fishing community as we are fairly few in numbers and have few dollars.  Make it more important to voice our opinions.

20 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

It seems the people pushing the herbicide are both well funded and politically connected which is a tough combination for the fishing community as we are fairly few in numbers and have few dollars.  Make it more important to voice our opinions.

And they have experienced lawyers who know how to twist rules and regulations and play other legal games.

I had a conversation with an out of state angler while waiting for clients at the DEC Launch in Bemus last spring and he summed it pretty well.  He finished the discussion by saying “ another case where the little guy loses” as he shrugged his shoulder and walked away.  Uphill battle for sure.

It definetly is an uphill battle for sure but if all of the anglers, and clubs come together to fight this maybe they will get the point! I feel that the attitude of "it's too hard" or "we will lose in the end anyways" is unacceptable. It is our duty as responsible anglers to protect our fisheries to the best of our ability. Phone calls, written letters, and emails take minutes to write up and send and I beileve if every angler on here took a couple minutes to do these letters, emails, and phone calls it would make a great impact. It does not matter whether you target bass, walleye, muskie, or any other species this is to protect the lake and it's natural habitats from being eradicated! Please if you have ever fished Chautauqua Lake or are just part of the brotherhood of fishing please help in this fight as we need everyone we can get. Call, write, or email local officials and DEC officers for region 9 to protect this wonderful lake from becoming a destroyed fishery. It is yours, mine, and every other anglers and keeper of the lake to do so! Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Here is a very good article about the Chautauqua Lake issue that was published in Chautauqua Magazine in the spring of 2019. It talks about the science of lake management and what is being done and learned in other lakes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BypAPIc0Dk8aVV9sNzlDdl8wVFRtdFJrc3V3bk1ZQmZSMlMw/view

They mention Princeton Hydro which was the other third party that surveyed the weeds in Chautauqua Lake. It would be nice to hear what conclusions they came to in regard to their fall 2019 survey of the south basin. From looking at Princeton Hydro's website, especially their Blog section, it looks like they are very experienced at developing individual lake management plans. The only thing is. you have to get all the stakeholders on board in order to properly implement a comprehensive multi faceted plan. It is very interesting learning what they are doing with the project studying Lake George. Maybe some of what was leaned there can be applied to Chautauqua Lake management.

• 9 months later...

My friend had the same situation, who also thought that she would not have any more children. In principle, there could be a lot of factors to make you do this. I'm very sorry for you.My friend didn't sleep for a month after that. She had completely forgotten what sleep is, she was very depressed, because of this, she still had a very bad headache. No pills helped HER because the constant tantrums did not allow her to calm down. so I advised her to try СBD, this is the last thing that could help her at home, it could be said that the last hope before going to the psychologist and it helped, who will be interested to read more about this medicine read more on this article https://www.healthcanal.com/best-cbd-oil

Edited by AnnRogers