right of way

Yea.......I guess I deserved that. :beer: I think we really use that radio to find out the hot color, or let the idiots know I'm draggin' a stick 200 feet behind the boat.

Save the hailer for the skiers and lice.

Edd

I learned something new last season about "right of way". We mostly troll eastern Lake Erie out of Barcelona, NY.. so boat traffic is generally not an issue, but.. we had a large sailboat come out of the harbor towards us as we we trolling. We were a good 2 miles out and the sailboat had plenty of time to manuever either well ahead of or behind us but chose to head straight at us! As he closed in he came on the radio demanding we give him the right of way! I politely reponded asking why he had decided not to change heading with all the time he had.. he merely came back with "I have the right of way"! The Coast Guard had been monitoring and came on.. telling him that because he was the more manueverable vessel.. we had the right of way! Actually, I assumed that he did have the right of way.. although he's an arrogant idiot.. but I guess that sometimes sailboats don't! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

In discussing this phenomenon where sailboats head right at you out of port.....when seemingly they have the whole lake to themselves has to do with setting a course by something on the horizon (usually my boat). I find sailboater guy has NO idea what kind of gear you have out, or how far back. Inform, by leaving a letter on yaht club bulliten boards. Yahter yahoos have often been concerned that steel wire might "saw" thru their gelcoat when I describe the dangers of getting too close (it helps to embelish)

;)

I have a question along the same lines. How do your local law types treat 'direction or travel', if you have any East of the Colorado? In the West here, we have many lakes where the legal direction is counter-clockwise. The lake patrols and Sheriffs boats don't bother the fishing boats when it comes to direction.

Edd

I had a D**n blow boat overtake me from 8 oclock last year. He was under power with his sails furled. I had a planer board out about 50 feet on the Port side and he missed it by several feet and continued bast my bow by no more than 20 feet. He watched me the whole time. I guess I was in the wrong becuase I was between him and his port. Seems to me that in this situation, the overtaken boat always has the right of way. I should have answered his arrogance by giving his a 16 oz ball. I did blow the horn once he passed my bow. I was a bit shocked by his arrogance.

I was 5 miles rom shore and no other boats were within several miles.

No Ray, I think arrogance is the right word. Ragboaters ALWAYS think they have the right of way, even when they don't (such as when under power and not under sail). That's arrogance, because they are unapologetic about it, even when called out.

I will always love skeiners photoshop brilliance in regards to this topic, still cracks me up every time I see it

2883Zilla_Sailboat.jpg

Tim

you said it right and we knew what ca ment i was refering to the ignorance of many blowboaters ,possably its so confusing remembering all those terms of jib,jab jive,keel,aotopiolet ....ahhh there s the switch. or they my have a homing device switch .many times 7,8,10 miles off shore just me the fish and the water and here it comes that looming sail right next to the boat forcing me to get upand put some clothes on then they just wave like they discovered land after 100 days at sea and go somewhere.

• 1 month later...
that looming sail right next to the boat forcing me to get upand put some clothes on then they just wave like they discovered land after 100 days at sea and go somewhere.

I think I would give 'em a shot of nature. Why put anythiing on?

Edd