Inbox
x

profile_mask2.png

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation <[email protected]>

10:46 AM (3 hours ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
DEC Delivers - Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation
Share or view as a web page || Update preferences or unsubscribe

Freshwater Fishing and Boating News

This Month’s Topics

• Success in Newly Added Water in Lake Champlain's Sea Lamprey Control Program
  • Controlling Sea Lamprey in New York
  • Westport Boat Launch Update
  • Upcoming Free Fishing Weekend
  • Plastic Bag Ban Starts March 1: #BYOBagNY

Huge Success in Newly Added Water in Lake Champlain’s Sea Lamprey Control Program

Sea Lamprey preying on trout

Adding Hoisington Brook to the Lake Champlain Sea Lamprey Control Program proved to be more important than biologists ever anticipated. The brook received it’s first-ever treatment in October 2019, and within six hours, thousands of larval sea lamprey emerged from the sediment. The results of this treatment exceeded expectations; more larvae were eliminated than surveys had predicted were in this short, narrow tributary.

To learn more about what DEC and partner organizations are doing to control sea lamprey populations in Lake Champlain, visit DEC’s website

Controlling Sea Lamprey in the Great Lakes

Lamprey after use of Hoisington Brook

For decades the Great Lakes Fishery Commission and New York have partnered to control sea lamprey populations in the Great Lakes. Without sea lamprey control, the world-class sport fisheries that anglers continue to enjoy wouldn’t exist. The latest adult lamprey population estimates for 2019 are in and provide a good example of effective control efforts.

Lake Ontario - Numbers of adult lampreys have been at or below target levels for the past seven years.

Lake Erie - Adult sea lamprey abundance is above the target, but decreasing. Recent, strong walleye reproduction may be helping reduce sea lamprey abundance through walleye predation on juvenile lamprey, and estimated adult sea lamprey abundance declined markedly in 2018 and 2019.

Westport Boat Launch Update

Westport Boat Launch ramp

Due to high water levels in Lake Champlain, DEC contractors are unable to remove sediments at the DEC Westport Boat Launch. The work, originally planned to be undertaken in November 2019, will be rescheduled for Fall of 2020 when water levels have dropped to a suitable depth.

Mark Your Calendars: Free Fishing Weekend - February 15-16, 2020

Excited woman holding lake trout while ice fishing

Ice fishing is a great way to get outdoors during the winter months. February 15-16 is a Free Fishing Weekend, where anyone can fish New York’s waters without a fishing license. If you’re an experienced angler, consider introducing a friend or family member to the sport. Or if you’ve always wanted to try ice fishing but don’t know where to start, attend a free fishing clinic near you this winter.

We encourage beginner ice anglers to download the Ice Fishing Chapter (PDF) of DEC's I FISH NY Beginners' Guide to Freshwater Fishing for information on how to get started ice fishing. You can find additional information, including a list of waters open to ice fishing, on DEC's ice fishing web page.

Plastic Bag Ban Starts March 1: #BYOBagNY

Did you know New Yorkers use more than 23 billion plastic bags a year? That’s around 1,000 bags per person annually. When we improperly dispose them, plastic bags create pollution, and are often seen stuck in trees or floating in our waterways. They pose threats to fish and wildlife, clog machinery at recycling facilities, and litter the pristine outdoor places we love and enjoy spending time in with our friends and family.

Starting March 1, 2020, a new plastic bag waste reduction law will take effect in New York State, and your reusable bag should be in hand when going shopping. Whether you’re going to the grocery store, clothes shopping, or to a home improvement store, make sure to bring your reusable bags. You don’t need to wait until March 1st to take action! Start bringing your reusable bags to the store ahead of the ban to build a new habit. Remember, your reusable bag means conserving natural resources, creating less litter, and keeping New York beautiful for future generations.

Additionally, stores covered under the NYS Plastic Bag Reduction, Reuse and Recycling Act will still be required to collect plastic bags and other film plastics from consumers for recycling. Film plastics include items such as bread bags and plastic wraps that come over cases of water, paper towels and other similar items. Consumers can help by continuing to recycle these items at participating retailers.
Questions on the upcoming plastic bag ban? E-mail [email protected].

Different size reusuable bags

The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation respects your right to privacy and welcomes your feedback  |  Update preferences or unsubscribe  |  Learn more about DEC Delivers.
Connect with DEC: Facebook  Twitter  YouTube  Bookmark and Share  
Basil Seggos, Commissioner

This email was sent to [email protected] using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation · 625 Broadway · Albany, NY 12233 · (518) 402-8013

1 minute ago, Tall Tails said:

It infuriates me that yet again our DEC officers will be tasked with enforcement of the plastic bag ban.... I think these officers have enough on there on there plate now they have to deal with this ridiculous oversight.... Yet another reason NY is un attractive.... 

:yes:

12 hours ago, Tall Tails said:

It infuriates me that yet again our DEC officers will be tasked with enforcement of the plastic bag ban.... I think these officers have enough on there on there plate now they have to deal with this ridiculous oversight.... Yet another reason NY is un attractive.... 

Where does it say the DEC has to enforce the ban? 

My four cats which I inherited use a plastic bag daily for their waste. Now I will have to purchase them. Just a cost of living increase for those living here in New York State, thank you do gooders. But the amount of plastics with the goods in the supermarkets surpass in one week a year the amount of plastics I take home. The liquid containers are examples of how the petroleum chemical industries outweigh the plastic bag issue. THE DO GOODER GREENIES  missed the mark on this one. Walk the aisles and you see what I mean.