gas tank pressure test.

c.bonaffine

My Crestliner developed a gasoline leak in the fuel fill hose connection. The old hose became hard and leaked fuel into the bilge when I filled her up one day. A bad time for a while until I pulled the floorboards and found the leak. I now run 6 gallon portable tanks since I lost faith in the built in tank system. I called Crestliner and the USCG and they did not want to hear or be part of the problem.

Did you check the fill hose as mentioned by jimski?

I had one scary thing happen a couple of years ago.We filled the boat with fuel at the gas station in Olcott,then drove across the street to the launch.As we were backing the boat down the ramp,the hull vent was about even with my head,and i got a very very strong smell of gas.

I had my buddy pull the boat out,of the ramp,and we climbed in and checked the bilge. I wasn't very happy.there was at least a gallon of gasoline in the bilge.

I had to drain it all out and wash it down several times with a cleaner to remove all traces of fuel.All of it was caused by a crack in the fill hose that was way out of view.Put in a new fill hose,problem gone.

If i ever tried to start the I/O that day i probably wouldn't be writing this today.

Dear CB,

Please examine all hoses connected to the fuel tank. Better yet REPLACE all the hoses to the tank. The Fill hose is 1.5 inch ID. The vent hose is 5/8 inch ID. The supply line will be 3/8 inch ID if it's an I/O boat. ONLY USE USGA approved hose!! Available at your local boat parts suppy house. Or go to Pugsleys on 104 and buy it by the foot. from Bob. The present gasoline formula's vapor phase is destroying your hoses. I do hope you have some patience for this job and some good wrenching skills. Taking this job to a service shop will lighten your wallet! Be extremely carefull with the fumes! If you spill fuel on the ground in excess of one gallon, it requires a HAZMAT call!!!! Very expensive!! Use extra care when you open each connection. Try and start with an empty tank and work outdoors! Have a fire ext. HANDY, just in case. The condition of the hoses in any boat is really an eye opener due to the aging of the fleet! Be Carefull and be safe!

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

you may want to check all your lines, i had late 80s outboard apparently when they started adding alcohol to the gasonline it played havoc with lines, gaskets and hoses. I had a supply inline from an inboard tank deteriortate so bad it closed off supply to the engine when the fuel pump called for fuel.

ted

cb, i personally never heard of pressure testing a fuel tank. i dont think they are

pressure vessels. what i mean to say is i don t think they are made to withstand too

much pressure, but like i said, i never heard of doing it so i would be careful if i were you. as posted before check all hoses etc..

john :)