TAKE A LOW COST WINTER FISHING TRIP W/ YOUR BOAT

ri rory

Hi folks,

I wish I thought to post this a few years ago

I am a transplanted New Englander finishing my 30 years of teaching in Florida ( 3 left)  I grew up trolling Lakes in Maine, NH and NY for trout and salmon.  In the last 10 years i have found reservoirs in the South that have great Trout, Walleye and Striper fishing.

These are big fish too,and weather is rarely a factor .  Most ramps easily accommodate Deep Vee boats up to 20'.  Accommodations are very reasonable in the area as well.  You all have everything you need to score--  downriggers, planer boards, spoons, plugs. 

Striper fishing is a livebait affair though. Licenses are cheap. Gas is cheap.

4 guys towing their own boat (900 miles) could easily do a week for $600-700 all inclusive-(gas, rental house, bait, license, food & including a day with a guide. or fly to atlanta or closer airport to area you choose, rent a car and do 3 days with a guide-- for 4 guys-all inclusive $900 each +/-

5 areas to consider Trolling that I know well--many have 3 species of bass too.  Many of these lakes have nothing but Nat'l forest surrounding them, real wilderness fishing--no homes at all--they are all deep--up to 300'--Fishing is great year round as all lakes are dam controlled and keep water frigid.  Lake cheoah never gets above 60 degrees ever.  normal air temps-- In february-25 degrees at 7 am, 50 degrees at 1pm & march 35 degrees at 7 am and 55-60+ at 1 pm. Roads are in great condition but can be STEEP so IF you tow a 19' lund loaded with a 6 cyl pickup  your truck will strain. (sole reason I jumped from a Tacoma to a Tundra 4 yrs ago)  Lots of wildlife everywhere too

1.South Carolina --Very good Trout in Lake Jocassee and Stripers/walleye in Lake Hartwell

2.East Tennessee-Rainbows and Lakers in Watuaga Reservoir 

3.North Georgia- Lake Burton-Big Browns & Rainbows, Walleyes and Hybrid stripers--Lake Seed & Lake Rabun right below dam (18' boat max)

4.Central North Carolina-Lake Fontana-Good Rainbows,walleye some browns and muskies, Lake Cheoah-all 3 trout and muskies, lake Calderwood- browns,rainbows and trophy smallies-(18' boat max), Lake santeelah- good brown, Rainbows, walleye

5.western North Carolina--Lake Hiwassie- good Stripers, good walleye, few trout,  Lake apalachia-Browns, a few Rainbows, good smallies, Lake Notteley (Ga) -good stripers

if anyone is interested in a southern trip feel free to PM me--i have guide contacts i'd recommend, houses i have rented, bait shops,  restaurants and good knowledge of all of those lakes

or call/text 8 am-8 pm  561-301-4169

coach

• Like 2

I can attest to this post as I moved to middle Georgia last year and the hunting and fishing  is fantastic. The south is an unknown opportunity for sportsman. Another great lake to fish for bass is Lake Eufaula, known as the bass capital of the world.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to tow my boat someplace and do some ocean fishing out of it. I know WA style boats like mine (24ft) are pretty popular ocean boats, just need to do some research on when/where. If I'm taking a trip specifically to go fishing, I'm going to go someplace for fish I can't catch locally.  

5 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

I've always wanted to tow my boat someplace and do some ocean fishing out of it. I know WA style boats like mine (24ft) are pretty popular ocean boats, just need to do some research on when/where. If I'm taking a trip specifically to go fishing, I'm going to go someplace for fish I can't catch locally.  

lf you want something to fish for that is rare, the Flint River in Ga is, (from what I’ve heard from a Game Warden) one of very few places that you can catch Shoal Bass.  I understand that they fight as hard as a salmon. Boat launches for smaller boats are available all over where the Flint crosses major roadways. 

yes sir you are correct

I never mentioned the river trout fishing--so many rivers and tailwaters to fish for BIG trout

It is stupid good.--just not my style

check out the hootch running thru atlanta  --chatahootchee river

I drifted it with a guide years ago--awesome