Mystery fish?

Last summer I was getting these while Smallmouth Bass fishing near Waddington. Im not totally sure 100% what they are. Some kind of chub/shiner. Maybe a Fallifish? They were about 12" or so. Anyone know for sure what these are?

August242019Chubtypefish.JPEG

Not easy to tell from the way is is hanging but possibly Cisco?. I think the Gizzard Shad may have a black round spot at the rear of the gill

cisco1.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

It does look like a whitefish Pete but I think the fins are usually darker. If we could see the tail clearly it might help too as they have a very pronounced "V" in it but the mouth looks more like that of a whitefish..

I am 99.9% sure it’s a fall fish. Look at the scales and more specifically zoom in on the mouth, which as a very pronounced rounded bite. And compare to picture of a fallfish attached. Color, fins, scales and mouth... Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

It definitely was not a carp or shad. Im sure it was some kind of shiner type. The Fallifish is the closest I have found but I dont think even that is an exact match. Maybe. They were big though. Relatively speaking and no not a Whitefish either, I have caught them. Been fishing 57 years now and this is a first for me not knowing what the heck I caught. Got several of them that day. 

Edited by BP Swing
spelling
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:36 PM, Dusty said:

Looks like a lake caught steelhead. We aren’t supposed to talk about those.

I'll take you fishing in August for the Skamania versions if you think that is a rusthead!  You'll catch them all day on dry flies!

Fallfish.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 3:19 PM, reelintense said:

I am 99.9% sure it’s a fall fish. Look at the scales and more specifically zoom in on the mouth, which as a very pronounced rounded bite. And compare to picture of a fallfish attached. Color, fins, scales and mouth... Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Looks like a fall fish to me. Or at least like the many I have seen in the past.