Do you keep the Swivel on your Spindoctors?

Private

Hey all,   

Looking for some advice.  I was wondering if any of you use the supplied swivels on your Spindoctor flashers. (See picture).  I have been just tying my leader directly to the suppled flasher that was I can easily unhook to change fly color or flasher.

My question... Is it anyone's opinion that this swivel is too large, and not the best presentation? Just wondering if someone has had better luck with something different?

Thanks

Untitled.png

Yeah I use the supplied swivels, never had any issues with them. I usually have a regular snap on the end of my mainline and tie my flies with snaps on the end as well so I have even more hardware on there. Gotta figure the flasher is always spinning I doubt an extra inch or two of hardware is going to make a difference.

1 hour ago, Private said:

Hey all,   

Looking for some advice.  I was wondering if any of you use the supplied swivels on your Spindoctor flashers. (See picture).  I have been just tying my leader directly to the suppled flasher that was I can easily unhook to change fly color or flasher.

My question... Is it anyone's opinion that this swivel is too large, and not the best presentation? Just wondering if someone has had better luck with something different?

Thanks

Untitled.png

Nah! Plenty of thing to overthink but this isnt one of them. The stock swivels are just fine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

x2 on Rob's comment.I'm sure when they did the research and development they had the swivel attached so why not run as designed?

14 hours ago, Cam said:

I tie directly. I feel that it supplies more action to the fly

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Changing which hole you use on the backside and also the front side also dictates the amount of action your fly gets. slow action vs fast action. This can also be done by changing fly leaders lengths. Spin Doctors are insanely tunable.

• Like 1

:smile: Wish I could.....I think I picked them up at one of the tackle shows  years back. I'm sure they can be found somewhere online though.

Just checked and here seems to be one https://www.fishusa.com/Dreamweaver-Swivel-Snaps-10-Pack?quantity=1&L-Size1=1051&msclkid=e258b654fb781e327c96e86949fbe372&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_PLA_All Products&utm_term=4585100930555023&utm_content=All Products

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Cam said:

I tie directly. I feel that it supplies more action to the fly

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

If you want more action then shorten the fly leader- that makes it snappier. A long leader gives the fly a lazy feel. IMHO both have their days

With the Spin Doctor you have pictured in the first post it is configured  in the hole for less action. For more action use the bottom one and for high speed trolling use the top front hole and the rearward hole for slow speed trolling. Many folks just leave them hooked up as they come in the package and don't experiment but it is worth doing sometimes and can make a difference in results. The action can be really accentuated by using the bottom rear hole and shortening the leader of the fly as suggested above.

Edited by Sk8man

I put  ball bearings on all of my flashers ends 

If I use a meat head or my rig , it spins . 

And I figure the whip and  free spin can only help . 

Also  my Hot Spots and Becholds come with ball bearings both ends . 

Edited by HB2

Large Duo-lok snap added to the end ring. Very easy modification. I tie a surgeons loop on all my leaders (flies, cutbait rigs ,etc..) Makes rig changes snap. I do this on all my rotating flashers. Doesn't seem to affect my catch rate negatively. 

TIME OFF

• Like 1