Tying short cores on mono reals

Yes. I run a lot of one and two colors on Ontario browns and Erie eyes. Leave my mono reels a little short. 1000 yd spool of stealth core handy. If you need a 1 color it’s pretty easy to rig up. 

On 2/6/2020 at 6:44 PM, hookedupf7 said:

Curious if any you guys tie short cores to mono rods for spring browns? And then remove them after and go back to mono.

sshhhhh, they are deadly

I keep a few of different lengths coiled up on narrow line spools with a #8 barrel swivel at the end. a fluoro leader at the other end with ball bearing swivel and when  I want to employ them I just take off the existing ball bearing swivel from the mono and tie it on. I have them set up in 1,2,3,4 color lengths.

Edited by Sk8man

Back in the day I used to have a bunch of old reels spooled up with cores on my boat and if needed I would start switching the reels around to the rods I had. I could switch them out fast if needed. Short cores are good all year for steelhead and some days a short core on a rigger is just stealthy enough to take some good fish. I've been trying to convince myself to switch most over to copper but can't get rid of the lead. I would like try a few 25-75 coppers just to see if I like it but will most likely start this season with 1-25 2-50 1-75 added to my 2-1core 2-3core 2-5core. Lead is just hard to beat at that depth. Drops less on turns. Can't wait to get out there. Brown trout fishing does not get the attention it deserves. 

• Like 1