Inboard Rudder Removal

jth21usa

Hello Internet,

I have a old Silverton that I'm trying to remove the rudders from. So I removed all the steering fittings, the bronze rudder collar and both sides started falling out. Then both sides (Port and Starboard) stopped after falling about 8 inches, at the same spot. Does anyone know if there is a locking mechanism in there and how to remove it? 

Taking a guess here . If you push the rudders back up as far they can go and there is nothing on the rudder shaft that looks like it would impede the rudder I would drop them down again. Then I would put a block of wood over the top of shaft and tap that with a hammer to see if you get any movement. The only place that makes sense for some kind of keeper device should be on the upper rudder shaft and not in or below the rudder housing. The ones I dropped a few years ago had a tar substance on them which led to the tapping sequence ,they dropped like a rock after a few hits. As I recall there was a key way along with a collar that kept the rudder shaft in the proper position 

• Like 1

If your boat is blocked on stands for the winter (I assume it is) - good chance the rudders are hitting the ground when you try and  drop them - don't laugh.  You might need to dig a hole under the boat (if possible) to get them out...I've removed rudders during storage and had to dig in order to get enough clearance to drop them completely out....

Edited by AnglingAddict

^^^ Did the same thing when boat was stored in my driveway, luckily it is stone and not cement or paved. Sort of thought the same thing but figured he would of looked at that to see if anything on the outside or lower shaft was stopping them from.dropping.

Edited by Bozeman Bob