You Tube Pet Peeve

5 hours ago, Sk8man said:

"Not everyone is on these forums to help others out or to accelerate others learning curves.  It's a big lake - but if I have a hot rig I'm keeping it to myself for the most part (maybe share with a select few) but certainly not showing it in videos."  What a selfish way to look at things.........unreal.

I'm just stating the reality - very few of you guys are any different.  Am I selfish? - absolutely.  Am I willing to help people? - absolutely.  Am I willing to publicly share everything I know on a forum - nope.  Years ago I had the attitude that we are all here to help one another out.  Perfect example of this is that I was on a good perch bite in the finger lakes and let people know about it on MyFishFinder.com.  Detailed report and gave some newbies some tips on the thread.  Had been fishing those fish for 3-4 days and not another boat out there.  The day after that post - there were over 40 boats on that spot.....that was the last time I post details like that on a public forum.  Are there a ton of fish in Lake Ontario - yes there are.  I'm not posting pics of hot rigs because I'm afraid someone else will catch "my" fish - I'm not posting pics or showing in a video because we fish head to head with a lot of guys in tourney's for cash and bragging rights and there are some things I run that I just don't want everyone seeing. 

I will help someone with techniques, I will help someone who is getting started rig their boat, talk fishing, answer questions they may have.   I fish a fair amount of tournaments and sometimes having just a small competitive advantage is helpful - sorry I don't want some of that info out there for the world to see...I really don't think many guys act differently than me.  You will almost NEVER see the lures and rigs out for display on any of the boats out of Oswego who competitively fish - even some of the better known Oswego guys on facebook never show backgrounds in their videos or pics.  It's part of the game.  

I guess what I was having a problem with was this part of what you wrote: "Not everyone is on these forums to help others out or to accelerate others learning curves.

I fully understand not divulging every aspect of what you do out there, or how and what you used to do it such as particular set-ups or fishing spots or as that relates to competitive fishing, but for most forums the major purpose is to SHARE and inform for the common good. This forum is usually a very good example of that premise. Many of the very experienced and knowledgeable charter people and veteran sportsfisher persons gladly share and contribute ideas and information with the purpose of furthering understanding and enjoyment of the sport; not necessarily to make money off it or to brag about what they are doing (as some youtube videos seem to do).

This website is a home to many levels of skill and experience and different types of participants from "lurkers" to the seasoned charter captains.who offer great information for novices and experienced folks alike. I have a great deal of respect for those people as it relates to their making money too but they SHARE nonetheless for the benefit of all. It is a valuable learning tool.

During much of my earlier fishing life much of what is viewed on here these days was treated as "Top Secret" among the old timers and even some of my fishing acquaintances. Thankfully, much of that era has passed where it took years to figure out some of the stuff that is freely given here. Many of us had to learn the stuff through old school trial and error and it took vast amounts of time. Time is a precious commodity and being able to willingly shorten the "learning curve" for other people is a valuable gift and a service to others. Just my own way of looking at it but it may be worthy of some thought:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

I'll share with anyone.  The only time I wont is skinny water browns cuz there just isnt room.  Funny, most of my lake reports mention little about lure names because I have know clue what they are lol, too hard to keep track of.  Ive said often I rarely think its what you you pull, its where, when and how.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I guess what I was having a problem with was this part of what you wrote: "Not everyone is on these forums to help others out or to accelerate others learning curves.

I fully understand not divulging every aspect of what you do out there, or how and what you used to do it such as particular set-ups or fishing spots or as that relates to competitive fishing, but for most forums the major purpose is to SHARE and inform for the common good. This forum is usually a very good example of that premise. Many of the very experienced and knowledgeable charter people and veteran sportsfisher persons gladly share and contribute ideas and information with the purpose of furthering understanding and enjoyment of the sport; not necessarily to make money off it or to brag about what they are doing (as some youtube videos seem to do).

This website is a home to many levels of skill and experience and different types of participants from "lurkers" to the seasoned charter captains.who offer great information for novices and experienced folks alike. I have a great deal of respect for those people as it relates to their making money too but they SHARE nonetheless for the benefit of all.

During much of my earlier fishing life much of what is viewed on here these days was treated as "Top Secret" among the old timers and even some of my fishing acquaintances. Thankfully, much of that era has passed where it took years to figure out some of the stuff that is freely given here. Many of us had to learn the stuff through old school trial and error and it took vast amounts of time. Time is a precious commodity and being able to willingly shorten the "learning curve" for other people is a valuable gift and a service to others. Just my own way of looking at it but it may be worthy of some thought:smile:

Understand your point - and looking at your post numbers you contribute more than most which is noble.  I'm not here to lurk - I'm here to enjoy the forum.  My point is not everyone shares everything and I think that's OK. Some guys don't share on a forum but contribute in real time on the water or dock.  Guys who seemingly share everything in reality probably don't they just share more than the average guy which gives the perception they share everything.      I'm a pretty open guy and am willing to help people for the most part - I've towed in people who are broken down and given up fishing time for that, helped rig up transients with the gear they brought to fish for the weekend to help them get on fish when it was apparent looking at their 17" fly leaders on an 11" paddle that they weren't going to enjoy much success - I walk the docks in storms to make sure everyone's boat is secure and throw extra lines on ones that aren't.  Don't judge me by one sentence.   Realize that if you ask I will try and answer your questions or point you in the right direction or have a conversation - but I'm not going to spoon feed anyone. I do think taking a charter is the quickest way to learn for guys who are new to the sport - I will stand by that.   It's not up to me to shorten anyone else's learning curve - it's up to that individual.  If they ask the right questions and show enthusiasm - then I will help them out and share some info to get them pointed in the right direction.   Judging by the 1000's of posts I've read on this forum - most people contribute more or less at the same levels as I do.  Again I said I edited out a hot rig and all of a sudden I'm an a$$hole and everyone takes exception to that fact which to me is really unbelievable.  So many things in videos you can pick up on if you pay attention. 

I basically agree with your point about not having to share everything and I also can relate to your comment about not "spoon feeding' people and it is something that some folks try to be the recipient of without doing any homework or searching  themselves or even fully reading things posted and it can be annoying. I agree with your comment about the advantages of taking a charter and have mentioned it  in many posts along the way. I guess some youtube videos may have the primary purpose to "entertain" rather than to inform too. I didn't even see the video you were referring to earlier so that wasn't my  focus :smile:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Holy cow! Thanks guys I wasn't expecting that:lol:  Most of us try to do our part and it is a great bunch of people on here. I've never been a real "groupie" or "joiner" but this website is "special".:smile:

• Like 2