IO freeze

emtystringer

Pull boat out of launch, WHILE THE ENGINE IS STILL WARM,  put the outdrive down, hook up the ear muffs with a 5 gallon tub of non-toxic marine antifreeze and run the motor until all the antifreeze runs through.  You can get the 5 gallon tubs at West Marine.  Been doing it this way since 2005 when I bought my boat.  

This one I found is 1/2 the price of West Marine model...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-65501-DIY-Boat-Winterizer-Easy-to-Use-Gravity-Flow-System-for-Inboard-Outboard-Engines/29764665?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=2605&adid=22222222227021776117&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839462992&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-78653072552&wl5=9005555&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=126803975&wl11=online&wl12=29764665&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyp7yBRCwARIsABfQsnTzMtWp-6AzpevM9C5F33s9WWtBAzPSSus2E_dq87StEtMz9JwZD0QaAv1uEALw_wcB

Edited by Gill-T

Do you drop the out drive into the tub and run a hose to the muffs to recirculate the anti freeze or just run it out to the ground

Incandescent light bulb under doghouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Incandescent light bulb under doghouse?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If the boat stays in the water this might be enough but removing after each use creates it's own challenges. A heated garage would be great otherwise winterizing again is the only answer to be safe.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, emtystringer said:

Do you drop the out drive into the tub and run a hose to the muffs to recirculate the anti freeze or just run it out to the ground

You use the propylene glycol non toxic marine antifreeze in boat engines, not ethylene glycol car anti freeze. So yes you can safely pump it onto the ground, By the time you've pumped 5 gallons of prop glycol through the engine all of the water has been displaced and you just leave the block filled with it til the next time you start the engine.

I tip out drive back down, pull plug in transom, pull block & exhaust drains, water pump drain & coolant hose off power steering cooler as soon as I'm on the trailer. Put the out drive  back up  and reinstall plugs & hoses before I go back out. Takes me 3 minute to drain and about 5 to put back together.