I just bought my first lake/river worthy boat. I spend a decent amount of time in cape vincent during the spring and summer months. I was wondering how I could legally enter Canadian waters and also fish canadian waters. I assume I need a canadian fishing license that I could buy online? Also what happens if I accidentally enter canadian waters? I just want to figure this all out before I go up there and get in a stupid situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just bought my first lake/river worthy boat. I spend a decent amount of time in cape vincent during the spring and summer months. I was wondering how I could legally enter Canadian waters and also fish canadian waters. I assume I need a canadian fishing license that I could buy online? Also what happens if I accidentally enter canadian waters? I just want to figure this all out before I go up there and get in a stupid situation.

As I understand the change in policy, it’s not a problem boating or fishing in Canada now. Just can’t take bait into Canada (except worms in bedding) or touch land, another vessel, or anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is what I thought I read online but then I got confused. It seems like you are right as long as I dont get off the boat or come to land I should be fine. That is good to know. I probably wont spend much time on that side I just didnt want any trouble. I have also heard of people crossing and not even knowing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Also be aware of ALL of Canada's boating laws. They are not tolerant of open containers..even empties in the trash. Fines are high and usually applied to everyone in the boat. Pistol type flares also banned. Do your homework.

• Like 1

Also be aware of ALL of Canada's boating laws. They are not tolerant of open containers..even empties in the trash. Fines are high and usually applied to everyone in the boat. Pistol type flares also banned. Do your homework.

Canadian laws are strict. Porta potties are illegal and as previously mentioned flare pistols are considered weapons and are illegal. Check with customs about what to do entering Canadian waters. You can get an ontario license on Hill island , just over the bridge from Wellesley Island. I used to get my Can license every year , I fished Charity shoal and it’s very easy to stray into Can ada A violation will probably mean you will be towed to Kingston and pay a hefty fine. You may even lose your boat and equipment Be cautious

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 month later...

Kevin , i posted the same question  On the qunite web site. Not ifficial, but opinion seemed to be that uf you can get your boat in the water,  all their launches are closed, you can fish 

This info is from the Canadian Border Services Agency website;

If you enter Canadian waters, you are not required to present yourself and report your goods to the CBSA if you:

• do not land on Canadian soil and do not anchor, moor or make contact with another conveyance while in Canadian waters;
  • do not embark or disembark people or goods in Canada.

Some may give you grief about our social distancing rules however if you follow what is noted above, there is nothing wrong as long as you head back across the lake. 

Just because the launches are closed doesn't mean fishing is closed.

• Like 1

I fished in Ontario yesterday, perfectly legally, for trout on a tributary. 

You'll definitely need a non-resident fishing licence assuming you are not from Ontario.

Don't know what the laws say about crossing the boarder within the lake, especially with COVID ... could be problematic.

If you take the time to read the link Kevin posted

9cf1c9015f66ac161456a3892a5c92d4_bigger.

You may only travel between #Canada & the #US on your boat for essential purposes. You will be denied entry if you are travelling for non-essential purposes, like tourism, recreation, and entertainment. If you do go, you must report to border services when crossing the border.

• Like 2

I still think it only applies to when you are landing.  I.e. How are they going to deny you entry if you float across an imaginary line in the middle of the river? And, if you are on the water and do not touch land or anchor, you do not have to call.  Will see what happens this weekend, i could be proven wrong 😊. I thought i was wrong once but i was mistaken, as they say, eh?  The other issue is, it depends on what agency you talk to in Canada, like here in the states, there are inconsistencies. 

I still think it only applies to when you are landing.  I.e. How are they going to deny you entry if you float across an imaginary line in the middle of the river? And, if you are on the water and do not touch land or anchor, you do not have to call.  Will see what happens this weekend, i could be proven wrong [emoji4]. I thought i was wrong once but i was mistaken, as they say, eh?  The other issue is, it depends on what agency you talk to in Canada, like here in the states, there are inconsistencies. 

Be VERY careful. I used to get my Ontario license every year and fish Canadian waters With the new regulations after 9/11 , and they changed continuously, I gave up. You MUST be familiar with Canadian law and regulations boat safety requirements are different in Canadian waters. Never lose sight of the fact you’re in THEIR house, our laws and rights mean nothing there. You can lose your boat and all your equipment if they so chose to seize them. Make very sure you know what you are doing before venturing over the border

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would strongly advise people to not take legal advise from Mrpike59 and rely on Transport Canada. It is not an imaginary line the Horsemen know exactly where it is and you should too or be prepared to loose your toys or I have no doubt in these times spend considerable time waiting for a bail hearing..

THE BORDER HAS BEEN CLOSED BY BOTH CANADA AND THE US. The Shiprider boats have personel from both countries and I know my boat won't out run it.

Edited by horsehunter
my bad spelling
  • Like 1

Ask the authorities on both sides what weight your opinion has. Kevin posted the link from the people that mater which gave the definitive answer that should have ended the conversation but obviously people couldn't be bothered going to the link and would rather rely on hearsay. Even in good times the border is under constant surveillance both on the water and from the air. They know who is out and what they are doing. If someone told me they can read the small print on your fishing license I wouldn't doubt it.

Even more than wanting to fish I want a haircut