Garmin Panoptix for trolling

I have the PS30, PS31, and lvs12. By far the best for trolling is the transom mounted PS30. I originally had it mounted like it was designed to be. Worked fine for salmon fishing because I use short leads off the ball, 10-20 feet. Could see the rotation of the flasher. Saw a video from some guys in Europe who mounted the PS30 ‘sideways’ using the mount for a PS31. The cone angle is 120 degrees which allows you to look forward and back a good distance. Didn’t get a chance to salmon fish this year but used it walleye fishing in Erie. In 60-70 fow, could see about 40 ft behind and 20 ft in front of boat (boat is 20ft). Both downrigger balls were still visible.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have an old Minn Kota transom mount electric motor. I have taken the motor itself off, and will mount the PS 30 on the end of the shaft. With mounted this way, I'll be able to rotate the transducer and still which way I like it best. Then buy the PS 31 mount if needed.

I use Panoptix LiveScope on Lake Erie trolling for walleye. I have the transducer mounted on a pole so I can aim it wherever I want. You’ll be able to aim it backwards and see your downrigger weight as well as the flasher fly and any follows. If you have livescope you’ll no longer need depth probe, just speed and temp. It shows actual depth of objects not just distance from transducer. You’ll be able to track a magnum dipsy to about 110-120 back. In shallow water trolling 30-40 deep, u can see the running depth of two dipsy divers at same time (1 & 3 setting) and see the fish strike. On Lake Ontario it’d work really well for finding suspended browns in shallow water. On Lake Erie it works really well for identifying areas where walleye are suspending in top 15ft of water column. These fish are notoriously difficult to find because you never see them on standard sonar because they scatter as the boat approaches. I don’t know if it’s possible to vertical jig for salmon, but if it is possible you’d be able to know when your bait is in vicinity of fish and observe how they react to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I recently purchased a Garmin Panoptix LVS32 with the intention of installing it "rear-facing" on the transom of the boat to watch downriggers for salmon and walleye fishing. I contacted Garmin support and they said it's okay to do provided I follow the usual rules (run it in clean water, avoid interference, etc.).  Looking for any advice on tips and techniques for this type of install. Would love to see a picture of an installed transducer where someone did this and find out how well it works. I'd rather do it right the first time.

2 hours ago, Wargofam said:

I recently purchased a Garmin Panoptix LVS32 with the intention of installing it "rear-facing" on the transom of the boat to watch downriggers for salmon and walleye fishing. I contacted Garmin support and they said it's okay to do provided I follow the usual rules (run it in clean water, avoid interference, etc.).  Looking for any advice on tips and techniques for this type of install. Would love to see a picture of an installed transducer where someone did this and find out how well it works. I'd rather do it right the first time.

You really should have gotten the PS30 transducer. That's what everyone's using on Lake Ontario.

• 1 year later...

First time post,

I just purchased a PS30 transducer and looking for good information on how to mount to a transom with a single outboard. I have a 230WA Cobia with single Yamaha F225 outboard. Questions I have are the following:

1) I can't mount in the center of the transom with the outboard in the way. I have a transducer for sonar on starboard side and a transducer for the fishhawk on port side. I think it would be best to mount offset to center port side towards fishhawk transducer.

2) Once the transducer is mounted, how does the view see around the outboard? If mounted on port side, I will it see downriggers on starboard side with the outboard int eh way of the view.

I have attached an image of location where I am thinking of mounting the PS30 transducer. Just to the right of the fishhawk transducer. Is this a good mounting location?

Called Garmin support and they were useless on this topic. I was told to buy 2 units so the motor will not interfere. 

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

20230303_144615.jpg

How will it pick up the downrigger balls and lures on the starboard side or opposite side of where its mounted with the engine down and trolling? That's what I can't understand? Setting in the MFD to be able to see around it? Or will it show up on the screen?

Thanks

Joe

43 minutes ago, jmorton said:

How will it pick up the downrigger balls and lures on the starboard side or opposite side of where its mounted with the engine down and trolling? That's what I can't understand? Setting in the MFD to be able to see around it? Or will it show up on the screen?

Thanks

Joe

It's a rectangular cone that shoots down, so at the transducer it isn't a very big cone.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I use it backwards facing. 

Remember, this is a sort of pencil beam spot light.  Pole mounting is highly recommended so that you can focus in to a downrigger or dipsy.  It needs to be only a few inches below the water to work.  I mainly use it to check lines or focus in on a single setup.

The PS-30 is a flood light covering a larger area and does not need to be fiddled with to see everything under your boat.  This one can be mounted backwards also and above the bottom of the boat.  Traditionally, people mount facing forwards.  But this will have to hang below your boat to see forward.  Not ideal if you travel at high speeds as it will make a nice rooster tail.  The Ps-30 is what most Salmon anglers prefer.

Below is a video of what you should see once you have installed the LVS-32.  Notice the flies rotating.

Not sure if this short video will load. This is my PS 30 mounted on an old transom mount Minn Kota shaft. Using it this way I can turn the transducer to look more forward or aft, the turn the shaft and look side to side. In this video it's looking for ward and aft. The top center is my boat, and the picture is moving right to left. You can see as I approach the fish, they dive deeper, then rise up again after I pass.

Yes.  Very nice.  This is with the PS30 or PS20.  I believe in live down mode.  This gives you a great picture of a wide area under the boat.  These 2 transducers are great for open water trollers to get a live wide  picture under their boat.  Not as much detail as a livescope.  The PS-30 and PS-20 are Panoptics tranducers,  aka Floodlight, where the Livescope transducers are more of a pencil beam spotlight.  Both styles of transducers are meant to see objects in a different way.  Hence, one is a floodlight and the other is more of a spotlight