Flooring thickness

rfed32

I rebuilt a 1984 sea-nymph center console CC-171. The floor I removed was 5/8" 9 ply marine plywood. I replaced the floor (sole) with 7ply 1/2" marine plywood. finished with 2 coats of interlux 2000e epoxy primer and 2 coats west system primer plus awlgrip. and........ its a little more flexible than I'd like.  I'd definitley use 3/4 9 ply if I were you. 

Most of the councils were aluminum and when not screwed down flex all over the place. If yours are you will have to remove the windshield to square up the council boxes again. Not that big of a deal to do, just takes some time. 

With an aluminum boat I would consider aluminum for the floor. 

Scott

1/2" marine flooring as noted above (and above).  I've replaced an entire floor section on a previous boat I purchased.  Was able to install new rivets which had some leakers and also apply Gluvit on all of the others.

IMG_2134.thumb.JPG.158b2788f5b51c069c14ec263f524be6.JPGIMG_2131.thumb.JPG.a7d958606008f391d86bcb7b6483ee2c.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
If I decide to go with aluminum what gauge do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My Lowe 19’ has an aluminum floor, I did have it out it flexed but stayed fairly rigid, guessing 1/8”. Try contacting Lowe they may still be installing aluminum floors and could tell you the thickness gauge

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If I decide to go with aluminum what gauge do you guys think?

I can't remember exactly, but the quote for aluminum was just way too much to justify. Doing a good 3/4" ply and sealing it should last 20 years at minimum, as the factory/ non sealed lasted almost that. Somewhere on here is my build with pics when I renovated my entire interior.

The original floor in my starcraft was 1/2 inch plywood. My only thought with aluminum is what it would feel like in the summer heat? I replaced mine with 1/2 inch douglas fir marine ply, coated both sides in epoxy, and then vinyl for the flooring. Should last a long time hopefully

The original aluminum floor in my boat had dark blue carpet on it for 15 years or so, never got any hotter than any other floor type w dark carpet. 2 years ago I removed the carpet and installed Kwi-grip in a light gray. I’m never bare foot but it is cooler than the carpet.
Maybe if you didn’t cover the aluminum it would get hot, but I think the blinding reflection would be way worse. Aluminum is a forever product

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 year later...

I use fire-treated boat floor plyboard, it is pressure-treated plywood that is also a fire-resistant boat flooring material. You can make a plyboard pressure-treated and fire-retardant coated and it can still absorb moisture. Though it can catch fire, the boards seem to prevent combustion, which normally happens when fire hazards are present in motorized vehicles.

On 2/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, Frogger said:

Not sure what year the sea-nymphs went with a metal floor, mines a 93 that has metal. Could it of been metal then someone installed wood?

I don’t no for sure but im pretty sure that is just a aluminum piece over plywood a guy i no thought he had a aluminum floor in his sea nymph and was just a plate over the plywood 

My 93 has a metal floor that sits on top of the aluminum bracing. Only wood is in the center piece of the back that has the aluminum on it covering the gas tank underneath.  I replaced the two outer aluminum sections with removing the two back seat post holes and replacing the carpet with nautilex flooring.