Baha Cruiser

tyell1

Not sure if this the right forum for this but I am looking at a1990 Baha Cruisers 280 weekender. The boat was used for chartering on Lake Erie its whole life, the last survey was done in April 2015 which was satisfactory for the boat including bulkheads , stringers and transome . The engines were rebuilt 3 years ago but owner said he never changed the clocks at that time.My question is would anyone shy away from looking at a charter boat, btw single owner since new. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks tom

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was in a similar situation a few years ago - found a 1989 Baha Fisherman in Dunkirk, was operated as a charter boat.  Stringers had been replaced, engines had been rebuilt.  I had it surveyed prior to purchase, all checked out.  The previous owner had taken good care of it, mechanically and structurally.  Fished it for 2 seasons before shifting gears to something smaller.  No (major) issues, no regrets.  

I'd still recommend a survey and sea trial prior to purchase.

I bought a single owner charter boat about 5 years ago. It was a 1996. Being a charter boat it was well taken care of and I haven't had any problems outside of what would be expected for a boat that age. It has a kicker which obviously kept the hours on the engine and stern drive down. There is good reason for captains to keep their boats in good condition. Plus, they are making money from the boat so I think it is easier to reinvest in maintenance. I'm no expert on used boats so this is all just my personal experience.        Get a new survey no matter what you do. Also, get a survey. If I forgot to mention it, get a survey done.