Thank God/ forefathers for 2nd amendment

HB2

39 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Except for that poor young couple traveling cross country a few months back that were murdered, the killers eventually committed suicide?
Crime happens everywhere.
As far as national security goes, an occasional “thank you America” would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes crime happens everywhere.  Using an example where 3 people were killed by two dumb youths in Canada doesn't really substantiate to anything.  This debate is stupid and way off topic, but I enjoy facts so here are some for all of us:

2018 Murders Canada - 651 per 37.06m people or 1.76 murders/100000 people

2018 Murders USA - 16214 per 327.2m people or 4.96 murders/100000 people

My rebuttal post stated it doesn't happen as often in Canada as in the US and the facts above agree with what I stated.  Maybe that was the point that the guy with his very first post ever on LOU wanted to make (or maybe he was a dick).

But hey, we are the ugly stepchild to the US with a pansy for a leader.  But I won't slander the US because I have numerous US friends and have met a ton of great people that are willing to go the extra mile if needed (plus that is where some of my fishing stuff comes from).

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, hairybumcrack said:

Yes crime happens everywhere.  Using an example where 3 people were killed by two dumb youths in Canada doesn't really substantiate to anything.  This debate is stupid and way off topic, but I enjoy facts so here are some for all of us:

2018 Murders Canada - 651 per 37.06m people or 1.76 murders/100000 people

2018 Murders USA - 16214 per 327.2m people or 4.96 murders/100000 people

My rebuttal post stated it doesn't happen as often in Canada as in the US and the facts above agree with what I stated.  Maybe that was the point that the guy with his very first post ever on LOU wanted to make (or maybe he was a dick).

But hey, we are the ugly stepchild to the US with a pansy for a leader.  But I won't slander the US because I have numerous US friends and have met a ton of great people that are willing to go the extra mile if needed (plus that is where some of my fishing stuff comes from).

I'll joke only to say the cold helps keep the numbers down...haha.    Many things I like about Canada and some I don't.  Same can be said for my opinion of the US..... many commonalities. Its probably why I think of Canada highly and the people I've interacted with.  

Similar situation two years ago i had. I’m the last house on a 1.5 mile dead end dirt rd with closest neighbors 200yrds away. Home alone with the dogs and at 2am the german shepherd is goin nuts. I grab my loaded AR from above my head rest and holster my 1911. Walkin down the steps, trou the glass in top of my front door luminated by my motion light, i see  a guy and a girl on my porch. They were just standing there actin real shady lookin around. Called 911 and got the troopers dispatched. For 10 min i sat on my steps waiting for them to try to come in. They finally knocked on the door and talkin trou the door they said they got there car stuck on my grass rd that goes to the swamp and asked if i can pull them out with my dully. I had the advantage so i sat on the steps stalling them and waited for the troopers cause they looked half in the bag. Troopers showed up and within 5 min they were cuffed and stuffed in the car for possion  of heroin and warrants from New Jersey for burglery. There car was stuck on my grass rd but definitely think they had other thoughts then just getting pulled out. I believe if i opened the door i would have had to squeeze a trigger. I dont think they knew how lucky they were for hesitating tryin to come trou the door. 

• Like 1

far as national security goes, an occasional “thank you America” would be nice.

wow

let's keep it too fishing.

keep stocking salmon 

I'm glad no one was hurt and everything  worked out.

no matter were anyone lives in this world it is sad when they need to protect  their family or property.

either way I would fish with a lot of the members  this site. Truthfully I would not care about your location more care about your boat lol.

another 2 months and we will be back doing what we all love.

I realize that this post is about your second amendment. And that some of you are concerned about this being under attack.  As a Canadian I note that we have a similar situation ongoing due to the same circumstances, too much gun play due to drugs. In our country the party in power is now suggesting confication is the answer.  This process is to be enacted at the local municipal level at their "enlightened "discretion. Ultimately anyone who owns a firearm who likes the great outdoors such as fishermen and hunters or likes to target shoot is at risk. 

As a Canadian I would like to say God Bless America.Your country like no other has kept us all free from global war. Your generousity as a nation is well known.

And on a more personal level , Thank You America for that destroyer captain in WWII who pulled my Dad and the rest of the crew off from HMCS Skeena.

The Skeena a Canadian destroyer had its back broken on a reef in Iceland due to an Atlantic storm. The American captain placed his destroyer RIGHT next to the Skeena and rescued the whole crew. THANK YOU AMERICA !

jim

• Like 2

Some years back (6) I was the first one home after one of the boys Friday night football games. As I pulled in the driveway I saw my dog in the yard, no reason for the dog to be out. As I walked up to the house I saw my door was kicked in. As I walked into the house I noticed some items of value around and I thought whomever broke into my house was still inside.
Two steps inside, open cabinet and hit four buttons and I have a loaded 45 caliber Glock. Nope. My family isn’t home, just me. My guess if the guy is in my house he is probably some skinny, kid, heroine addict. Last thing I need is a gun in one hand should I choose to engage should he still be there. He wasn’t although I eventually got a pic of the guy that stole two Mac Book Pro’s and yeah he was a skinny drug addict.
God bless the second amendment. I carry every day. But with that right comes a responsibility. You can never pull that bullet back.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My God given rights have everything to do with it . 

After thinking about this since the dust settled , I have come to these conclusions 

If someone breaks into my/ your house , they have made a conscious decision to take their own life into their own hands . They don't know truly if someone is home or not. 

I know i can't engage anyone outside my home . But I can make life hard for them . 

Lastly , I refuse to cower in my house and hide in a corner and let an intruder control circumstances that could be detrimental to my loved ones or me .

I'm not going indiscriminately let the lead fly , but if I feel threatened , they dug their own grave . Not mine . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, laker1 said:

I realize that this post is about your second amendment. And that some of you are concerned about this being under attack.  As a Canadian I note that we have a similar situation ongoing due to the same circumstances, too much gun play due to drugs. In our country the party in power is now suggesting confication is the answer.  This process is to be enacted at the local municipal level at their "enlightened "discretion. Ultimately anyone who owns a firearm who likes the great outdoors such as fishermen and hunters or likes to target shoot is at risk. 

As a Canadian I would like to say God Bless America.Your country like no other has kept us all free from global war. Your generousity as a nation is well known.

And on a more personal level , Thank You America for that destroyer captain in WWII who pulled my Dad and the rest of the crew off from HMCS Skeena.

The Skeena a Canadian destroyer had its back broken on a reef in Iceland due to an Atlantic storm. The American captain placed his destroyer RIGHT next to the Skeena and rescued the whole crew. THANK YOU AMERICA !

jim

:yes: Sometimes we lose sight of what is really important. Our two countries  have stood side by side when it really counted (e.g WW2 etc.) and as we have ventured forth into the future without the direct threats that bonded us folks born well after that time may not fully appreciate the true nature or depth of our relationship. The Canadians,, Brits and Aussies have always been there for us and we for them. My dad flew in B-24 bombers over Germany, Austria, Italy, North Africa for 25 missions and reading his diary it became obvious that many of the citizens of these countries gave their very lives for us and our way of life. We should never lose sight of that fact no matter what the current issue.:smile:

On another note there is another possible option to actually shooting an intruder and perhaps as disabling is the use of a TAC light and Laser activated and shined directly into the eyes of an intruder prior to potentially pulling the trigger may suffice to protect you and deal with the civil concerns afterward (e.g. being sued for blinding the intruder perhaps).

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Great take Laker 1, Sk8man I learn something new everyday. Must be really fascinating to read your fathers diary.
HB2, we all hope we never have have to find ourselves in a situation that causes loss of life but to your point, they made a conscious decision when they entered.....I also hope you didn’t misunderstand my comment with getting behind a bunker didn’t mean hiding like a coward while a stranger ransacked your home while you did nothing. I only meant get behind something to protect yourself in the event they are armed when they crossed the doorway and you let the lead fly. Always have to assume they are armed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 7:55 PM, Fat Trout said:

I'll joke only to say the cold helps keep the numbers down...haha.    Many things I like about Canada and some I don't.  Same can be said for my opinion of the US..... many commonalities. Its probably why I think of Canada highly and the people I've interacted with.  

You are not far off!  I learned in my criminal justice classes in college that most crime happens between 73 - 78 degrees!  I would also attribute less crime in Canada to less big cities.  Most of Canada is open country. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 12:42 PM, SteveSchmelzle said:

strange thread.

glad I live in Canada.

There's enough idiots here too.  And I'm pretty sure civilians have less firearm rights in Canada than the US.

Install cameras ... and put big signs up warning people there are hidden cameras ... hopefully that persuades them to move on.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:59 PM, whaler1 said:

We're glad too!!

Yeah, just remember, he doesn't speak for the whole of Canada.

So no point on insulting the whole nation there guys, because you're basically doing exactly what he did.

My children are both US and Canadian Citizens ... so I see plenty of good and bad on both sides of the fence.

No one is perfect.

Just realize who your true enemy is ... stop wasting time on these stupid antics. Like a 6 year old brother bullying their 4 year old brother ... jeez, let's please grow up a bit.

Wow, gotta think about this one!
HB2, you handled the situation properly. No one is truly immune from threat, foreign or domestic. How we chose to defend ourselves is a right of the individual. Sometimes the best offense is a good defense. Educating yourself is the 1st step. Training is the second. Common sense and compassion are you're allies, but nothing is fool proof.
Semper Fi

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app