Washing spoons

2 hours ago, spoonfed-1 said:

Can't understand why,just the opposite for me. I love fish slime & smell on my lures. Blood on my flys makes me happy.

Agreed!  The hot spoon keeps hitting because of the fish smell on it.  I would also agree you don't want fish smell to rot on something.  If I  actually used meat, I would probably clean my meat heads at the end of each day.  

I started washing last season. This was my second season and as the season proceed the strikes steadily decreased. I started washing and the number of strikes improved. Is this fact or merely coincidence thats for you to decide.

13 hours ago, skach1 said:

I was watching an episode of fishing 411 and watched them wash their lures after a catch. Does anyone practice this and Why?

If so what is the solution washed with?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Keep in mind that they all put scent all over there spoons and plugs so literally need to wash them to get the stink off

Back in the 60's my boat was in a covered slip next to a guy that guided for lake trout. The only lure he used was a 6 inch Williams whitefish back then they had a white plastic tail covering the hook. Once a lure caught a fish he would remove it and put on brand a new lure. At one time I had about 3 six quart baskets full of whitefish he had given me. Fishermen get some funny ideas and superstitions. I'm thinking the upcoming season may be challenging as my fishing hat made one too many trips through the washing machine.

X2 on Legacy’s comment on washing off scent products.  When I was playing around with scent and Smelly Jelly was the worst, you had to get the scent off or you had a mess in your boxes.  After I had some lures get discolored from left on scent, I would have a tray with Dawn dish soap and water to throw lures in when they were swapped out.  Scent probably helped catch fish, but I quit using it because of the mess it made in the boat and the extra work cleaning lures.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:55 PM, Earl28 said:

I started washing last season. This was my second season and as the season proceed the strikes steadily decreased. I started washing and the number of strikes improved. Is this fact or merely coincidence thats for you to decide.

What were you washing them with?

This has been discussed here before, on the show they were scrubbing the lures with a brush and non-ultra lemon joy. Keep in mind the show was sponsored by Pro-Cure, so they would make a show out of washing the lures and then covering them with Pro-Cure scent. Did they actually believe in what they were doing or just trying to keep the paychecks coming... who knows.

• Like 1