Idea for shining up spoons

Sk8man

For quite a long time now I have used my cartridge casing tumbler (for cleaning ammunition cartridge casings for reloading) to refurbish the shine on my spoons including Sutton's that weren't badly water spotted in the first place. It is a lot easier than using silver polish etc. The cleaning material is ground up walnut shell material to which a small amount of polishing solution is added. The vibration from the unit when turned on and left for a couple hours does all the work. My tumbler is made by Dillon.

Anyway just an idea to share for anyone interested who may be into hunting or reloading etc. that might be applicable.

Good question. Yes I do but I retrieve the spoons with a dinner fork because I do multiple spoons at once and to avoid getting stuck:smile: . You do have to fish around a bit but not a real problem.I wipe any fine dust off of them with a soft cloth after retrieval.

Edited by Sk8man

If you really want to do it right , you need to strip off the finish coat first . It can be lacquer , or epoxy coat . I use strip ease or something similar. 

Then you can use car polish or x fine steel wool to shine it .the tumbler would probably be great for this .  

I will then clean of the wax with paint thinner rag  for a good bond for paint . 

I paint with spray cans although I wish I had an air brush . 

Then a few coats of clear . Usually lacquer. 

Put on tape if you want . 

They come out like new . 

23 minutes ago, HB2 said:

If you really want to do it right , you need to strip off the finish coat first . It can be lacquer , or epoxy coat . I use strip ease or something similar. 

Then you can use car polish or x fine steel wool to shine it .the tumbler would probably be great for this .  

I will then clean of the wax with paint thinner rag  for a good bond for paint . 

They come out like new . 

If you don't do it as above and replace the clear coat it won't last but sometimes a dull worn confidence spoon can be your best friend

Edited by horsehunter

1 hour ago, HB2 said:

They come out like new . 

You can get a good airbrush for cheap.  The paints are inexpensive too! 

I may buy one to customize my rigs . 

You can  also freshen up your stick baits by spraying a  coat or 2  of lacquer . 

Gets rid of that tackle box rash . 

Some very fine steel wool does wonders 

Goof off or paint thinner takes off   tape residue . 

You can always paint the front of the spoon all black and make spooks or laser spooks or glo green tape , etc. 

Edited by HB2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, A-Lure-A said:

I heard peanut butter works. Was going to try it myself. Anybody ever try it? I’ve used it before for light polishing on other things. 

Toothpaste is actually a bit better as it is a mild abrasive.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:28 PM, Sk8man said:

Good question. Yes I do but I retrieve the spoons with a dinner fork because I do multiple spoons at once and to avoid getting stuck:smile: . You do have to fish around a bit but not a real problem.I wipe any fine dust off of them with a soft cloth after retrieval.

They do make a plastic basket for these tumblers. The holes are just big enough to let the media fall through and you are left with just your spoons in the basket. Been doing this for years.

Yep. I have it but I just throw them in the vibrator itself and fish them out and just leave the material as it is then next time just add a little more of the polishing substance:smile: either way works.