Okuma stratamaster

Have two okuma stratamaster sm30d reels. Curious with all the negativity associated with Okuma reels if these are going to run as well and are as tough as my daiwa and penn reels? I run primarily Daiwa 47 reels. Few Penn 320’s. These would be serving as rigger rods for me. 

not sure on their age, but they’re in seemingly excellent near new condition.  If they’re inferior to my Daiwa and Penn reels, then I’ll just use them for spring brown trout planer board fishin. 

7 hours ago, TinyTuna said:

Have two okuma stratamaster sm30d reels. Curious with all the negativity associated with Okuma reels if these are going to run as well and are as tough as my daiwa and penn reels? I run primarily Daiwa 47 reels. Few Penn 320’s. These would be serving as rigger rods for me. 

not sure on their age, but they’re in seemingly excellent near new condition.  If they’re inferior to my Daiwa and Penn reels, then I’ll just use them for spring brown trout planer board fishin. 

Curious to know what the all the negativity is that you mentioned? If you havent realized that fishing reel followers have a on going battle like chevy, ford, and dodge fans it might be time to.

Those reels will do just fine. 

• Like 3

I’ve heard of sticky drag, catastrophic meltdown when a big king goes for a 200’ run, inaccurate line counter.
I’m well aware of the brand loyalties.
I’m not familiar with the Stratamaster like I am with Convector or Magda so my curiosity was if anyone had any experience with the stratamaster and good/bad/indifferent experience relative thereto.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Those Stratamasters are likely going to need the drags upgraded but should serve you well otherwise.

I’ve heard buzz of guys buying drag kits for the Okuma reels. Any idea where to procure those?
Seems as though Okuma didn’t use premium felt drag washers like Penn, Daiwa, Shimano????

Any bad press about Okuma drags was from many years ago (some people can't give it up)

I have used Okuma reels for well over 10 years and have found many ways to loose a fish but it has never been the  reels fault (including Magdas)

Yes, drag washer upgrades might be needed on the older ones, but I believe all new Okumas use the Carbonite drag washers.

If you want to talk about drag problems contact Tuna Tom in Ludington  and ask him what is the #1 reel he has had to upgrade the drags on!

It starts with a T and everyone acts like those reels are the best thing ever made

I will keep my Okumas and spend the extra money on drugs and alcohol (I do not condone this type of activity, but it has worked for me)

• Like 1

Any bad press about Okuma drags was from many years ago (some people can't give it up)
I have used Okuma reels for well over 10 years and have found many ways to loose a fish but it has never been the  reels fault (including Magdas)
Yes, drag washer upgrades might be needed on the older ones, but I believe all new Okumas use the Carbonite drag washers.
If you want to talk about drag problems contact Tuna Tom in Ludington  and ask him what is the #1 reel he has had to upgrade the drags on!
It starts with a T and everyone acts like those reels are the best thing ever made
I will keep my Okumas and spend the extra money on drugs and alcohol (I do not condone this type of activity, but it has worked for me)

Fkn savagery, especially after a long day of boating many fish - using Okuma reels..... you sumna**** I’m in.
I’ll run em full of power pro and not look back.
Ps, you won the internet today.
PPS - idk if I could justify Tekota prices.

I bought 8 Okuma Coldwater reels (45 size) for salmon a few years ago. Liked them except for creep when used on a dipsies and sticky drags all the time. Called Okuma after about 2 years and even though they were out of warranty, they gave me an authorization number to send to Tuna's. I only paid shipping out there. Reels were sent back with new drags and tuned up. Now they are excellent for the cost.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2