Red Hooks?

Jeff Mick

Hello!  In the process of getting some stick baits ready for the browns in April.  I have looked at the forum and have seen that there are lots of options for what people like to do with the original hooks in terms of up-sizing, removing 1 or more hook and so on.

I am curious though about if anyone likes to put trebles that have painted red on their sticks?  Fishing for landlocks over in NH I found that the fish liked the red hooks.  Just looking for some input about the browns and if hook color seems to be something that affects # of hook ups.  This will be my second time up for browns in April.  We started putting some pieces together last April and I am looking forward to trying some new techniques this spring!  Thanks ahead of time guys for any input on this topic!   

Red hooks and line were very popular a decade ago when there were a lot of opinions about which color becomes invisible at what debt. At he time the magazine "In Fisherman" did some testing with the spectrum and what bass sees at what depth. The end conclusion was that, as Spoonfed already mentioned, The fish did not care about the color red of the line or the hooks and the fishing fad about the color red ebbed away again.

Edited by rolmops

Appreciate the info guys!  Last couple of days I have been looking at all the posts on flouro vs mono and other options like maxima or flouro coated mono and I guess I may be over thinking things a bit. 

This leads to one more question I have for you guys............it seems like Berkley Big Game is very popular at Lake O.  Last year I spooled up with 12 pound BG in the color green (for spring browns).  I was then running blue label flouro leaders at about the rod length (10 #).  The question I have is does the color of the BG matter?  Clear or Green?  My leader lengths are right around 9 feet.  

Thanks ahead of time for any input! 

15 hours ago, Jeff Mick said:

Hello!  In the process of getting some stick baits ready for the browns in April.  I have looked at the forum and have seen that there are lots of options for what people like to do with the original hooks in terms of up-sizing, removing 1 or more hook and so on.

I am curious though about if anyone likes to put trebles that have painted red on their sticks?  Fishing for landlocks over in NH I found that the fish liked the red hooks.  Just looking for some input about the browns and if hook color seems to be something that affects # of hook ups.  This will be my second time up for browns in April.  We started putting some pieces together last April and I am looking forward to trying some new techniques this spring!  Thanks ahead of time guys for any input on this topic!   

Red isnt a big factor for me but quality hooks are. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Mick said:

Appreciate the info guys!  Last couple of days I have been looking at all the posts on flouro vs mono and other options like maxima or flouro coated mono and I guess I may be over thinking things a bit. 

This leads to one more question I have for you guys............it seems like Berkley Big Game is very popular at Lake O.  Last year I spooled up with 12 pound BG in the color green (for spring browns).  I was then running blue label flouro leaders at about the rod length (10 #).  The question I have is does the color of the BG matter?  Clear or Green?  My leader lengths are right around 9 feet.  

Thanks ahead of time for any input! 

Overthinking it.  I've used multiple colored main line (clear/green/chartreuse mono, green/yellow braid), never noticed a difference.  Even ran some of that mono straight to the lure, no leader.  Again, never noticed a difference, except the constant retying due to damaged line, hence the need for flouro leader.

I appreciate it again guys!  Legacy I saw your posts on how you use the same blood run hooks on all your stuff.  Thanks for the info on hook color. 

Orangediablo - thanks for your input on the line............finally starting to see the importance of fluro for its durability.

On 2/26/2020 at 8:13 AM, Legacy said:

Red isnt a big factor for me but quality hooks are. 

Rob's point shouldn't be missed here.  Hook quality in terms of sharpness and hardness is highly important to success especially when fishing in king water. Back in the mid seventies I tried using some Sutton spoons out on Lake O and not only did the trebles get crunched up but the very spoons themselves did as well. Those hooks may be OK for the Fingers but something harder is needed on Lake O. I use triple X Mustad single stainless salmon hooks on all my spoons and hardened trebles on all my homemade flies; some red some silver and no noticeable difference by color:smile: I always have a file handy on the boat and frequently examine hooks for sharpness. I leave the trebles on sticks alone.

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, Jeff Mick said:

Any thoughts about Eagle Claw 3X strong treble hooks? 

They are decent hooks but break at the weld.  Check out Blood Run trebles.  They are the hook I settled on for Gambler Rigs.  Super sharp and durable hooks. 

A good hook for the money is an Eagle claw LS 374 .  I like the 1/0 size for a standard NK 28 or similar . Also for meat heads and I replace At least the 

Rear hook on a #4 j plug . 

I use a 2/0 on Mags . Balance is everything . Generally try to match what came on it to be sure . 

They are sharp , don't bend and are reasonably priced. Sometimes the fish are hooked so good , i have to break the hook to get it out . 

I like a bronze hook on a black or dark spoon , but I don't know if it really matters  . 

The best setup on spoons I found many years ago mid 80’s especially for the steelhead in those days the bar was hot in mid May to June.

i simple took hooks off my spoon and replaced with a single offshore jig hook used in salt .

This type stinger hook is rigged with 60+ braid and looped fitted  to your split ring , the book remains loose and very hard for a jumping fish to throw ! Commonly known as assist hooks . I used 1/0’s and salmon went to 3/0’s ! Simple to rig yourself .
Worked on salmon etc as well !

• Like 1

Good luck with that one 🎣  !  Years back when I chartered out of Sodus  we enjoyed great 

fishing in local creeks , most of us would use bait and fish without utilizing other less sportsmanlike methods .  
Often times the best fishing occurred at the mouth where various baits n lures worked fine ! 
mom sure with today’s pressure I would not like

fshing many small streams today ! 

It is a different fishery but in NH they have made treble hooks with bait illegal when fishing for landlocked salmon.  So many of the fish were getting hook wounds after being caught that this is how the state responded.  Growth rates are slowed quite a bit if the fish have hook wounds.  They also came out with the salmon pledge.

https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/salmon-pledge.html

Early season shallow water near shore trolling requires the use of stick baits that float up you stop the boat for a snag or make a turn and the inside turn lures can sink to the bottom and snag up. Your fishing time is wasted when you snag up there.