Kicker motor

paprman

On 2/26/2020 at 7:01 PM, paprman said:

Thinking about getting a kicker this spring. https://onlineoutboards.com/collections/outboard-motors seems to have best prices with no tax and free shipping. Debating between the Mercury, Tohatsu or the Suzuki 9.9hp with elec start and power trim. The Suzuki is the least expensive then Tohatsu and Merc the most expensive. Has anybody bought a motor from onlineoutboards?  Opinions on the brands of motors. I think they all make a quality product but is there a good reason to spend more on the Mercury or Tohatsu? Prices start at $2625 for the Suzuki, $2737 for the Tohatsu and $3030 for the Mercury. 

I just bought the Suzuki 9.9 from Porta-Boat in CA. Long shaft elec start power tilt & controls. $2695.00 delivered. no tax

Been looking at them myself. The Suzuki looks interesting. There were some comments about it not being a true high trust because of the gear ratio but it is very similar to the Merc in displacement and gearing. The Merc is made by Tohatsu anyway.
The one that differs is the Yamaha T9.9. It has a much smaller displacement and lower gear ratio to compensate. The Suzuki 9.9 has the same displacement up to their 20 hp so it is a detuned 20 which will be working a bit less. Certainly like the idea of fuel injection as I am tired of carburetors.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I decided to step down from a 15 hp Merc to a new 8 hp Yamaha this year. I have only good things to say about the 15 Merc but I felt like it was overkill for my set up and the Yamaha frees up more transom space and weight. I haven't posted it yet, but ill be selling my 2015 Mercury 15 HP with electric start and 20" shaft for $2,000 this spring if any one is interested, send me a message. 

kicker.JPG

I purchased a Suzuki 9.9 from Porta-Boat last week. I don't believe I will see it until march sometime. Good price $2695.00 9.9 long shaft elec start power trim remote with controls. My plan is to upgrade it to a 20HP. local lake says 10 hp max. I'm hopeful i can get 20mph out of it on my 16 ft Sylvan. Currently I am running twin 1995 Evinrude 9.9s upgraded to 15HP each. My other boat is a Ranger 250C center with twin 175 Optis. Gonna get me a big shark this season. 

Made the decision last fall to go Suzuki over Yamaha even though I have had great reliability from Yamaha over the years.  Got the Suzuki 9.9 T Series High Thrust with 12 amp alternator, EFI, and fact that Suzuki uses same engine size for 9.9, 15 and 20 hp.  With the good weather last fall put the 9.9 Suzuki on my Lund and got the break in hours done on the new motor.  Suzuki has a pretty detailed break in procedure- was nice to get out of the way.  Suzuki also has an oil filter which I have not had on my 9.9 and 8 hp Yamaha kickers.  Suzuki is very quiet and has good degree of tilt.  Looking forward to trolling with it this year.    

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1185.JPG

Thanks for the input. I just ordered the 2021 9.9 long shaft elec with power tilt. I will upgrade it to the 20 HP with the flame arrestor and ECU swap out.

The local lakes down my way only allow 10 HP max. I'm hopeful I can get at least 20mph on my 16 ft Sylvan

Before you start messing around swapping parts to turn a 9.9 into a 20hp you should see what 9.9 does on a 16 footer.  My neighbor put a 20 hp Suzuki on a 16’ Lund in place of a 25 hp Merc 2 stroke (boat rated for 30hp).  With a driver and no passenger at wot the 20 hp Suzuki would go into over rev position with ecu going into limp home mode.  With a passenger he can go wot otherwise solo he only runs about 80 percent throttle. Once you get used to the rpm limit not an issue and boat is plenty fast for what it is.  Something to be aware of- no point in solving one problem only creating another. I knew guys that put 9.9 decals on 15hp to get around 10hp limits.

I will try the engine on my 16 footer before swapping parts to get 20 hp. However my 16 ft boat weights 890 lb boat only. Add all the crap we put in these things and 25 gallons of fuel and I think the 20 will perform better. As far as changing the stickers. Some of the rangers think they are detectives. They have checked serial numbers on the engine block. Currently I am running the boat with twin 1995 9.9 Evinrudes upgraded to 15 hp each. Too much time on my hands I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, lrg355 said:

Just watched a video of the 9.9 to 20 conversion. Under $450 for the ECM and restrictor plate on intake. 10 mins and done. Interesting.

Yea, it seems like a good deal. I’m waiting for my motor. Some time in March I’m told. Can’t wait to see how it pushes my 16 ft Sylvan

I bought a 9.9 high thrust yamaha  (T9.9xeh) long shaft in March 2015.

$3050 delivered

I installed a protroll 2 digital throttle controller.

I use it on a 22 foot Crestliner Eagle.

you don't need any thing bigger HP wise for a kicker on my boat and talked a guy who uses same motor on a 26 foot fiberglass boat that said same thing before I bought mine.

Bought from Shipyard Island Marina, inc in Wisconsin 920-847-2533.

Absolutely zero problems. Purrs like a kitten, will troll all day on a gallon of gas.

If I had it to do over, I probably won't spend the extra money for long shaft because I can't tilt it completely out of the water when running off main engine or in a slip. When I bought it Yamaha gave me 2 extra years warranty for free, but I never used it. My kicker before that was a 15HP Evinrude 4 stroke which was actually manufactured by Suzucki. That motor had constant issues and Evinrude couldn't even supply replacement parts.

Just my 2 cents

Crestliner aft view.jpg

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine. My Evinsuki was purchased new in 2002 and ran great for at least 10 years. I had it repaired before I replaced it with the Yamaha. I intend to put it back on the Crestliner when I sell my Crestliner and replace it with a 26 foot Pursuit if this covid BS ever runs it's course. The Yamaha will be moved to the Pursuit.  Now is not a good time to replace the boat because prices are insanely high due to the pandemic.  Boats priced at 40 to 45 K are now 60 K if you can find one that isn't salt water used.

3 hours ago, pukingdog said:

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine. My Evinsuki was purchased new in 2002 and ran great for at least 10 years. I had it repaired before I replaced it with the Yamaha. I intend to put it back on the Crestliner when I sell my Crestliner and replace it with a 26 foot Pursuit if this covid BS ever runs it's course. The Yamaha will be moved to the Pursuit.  Now is not a good time to replace the boat because prices are insanely high due to the pandemic.  Boats priced at 40 to 45 K are now 60 K if you can find one that isn't salt water used.

That’s good to hear about the boat prices. I’m considering selling my 25 Ranger this season. I was thinking $23k. Now maybe $28

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, pukingdog said:

you will probably get it. Good luck with the sale and the kicker.

I have received the motor and started everything to get it mounted. I have all the parts to convert to a 20 HP. I plan on doing a 20 hour break in before swapping the parts over. I'm hoping to get 20-24 mph with the upgraded engin and a 9.25 x 11 inch prop

Just curious, the specs on the prop differ from the data on the porta boat website and the Suzuki official website. Porta bote spec is a 4 x 9 3/4 x 10. (4 blade 9 3/4 dia with 10 pitch). Suzuki is 4 blade x 10 dia x 5 pitch. That would make more sense.
Which one came on your DF 9.9BT ?

1 hour ago, lrg355 said:

Just curious, the specs on the prop differ from the data on the porta boat website and the Suzuki official website. Porta bote spec is a 4 x 9 3/4 x 10. (4 blade 9 3/4 dia with 10 pitch). Suzuki is 4 blade x 10 dia x 5 pitch. That would make more sense.
Which one came on your DF 9.9BT ?

Mine came with the 4 blade 10 x 5

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, Flygaff said:

I purchased a Suzuki 9.9 from Porta-Boat last week. I don't believe I will see it until march sometime. Good price $2695.00 9.9 long shaft elec start power trim remote with controls. My plan is to upgrade it to a 20HP. local lake says 10 hp max. I'm hopeful i can get 20mph out of it on my 16 ft Sylvan. Currently I am running twin 1995 Evinrude 9.9s upgraded to 15HP each. My other boat is a Ranger 250C center with twin 175 Optis. Gonna get me a big shark this season. 

Can you share the parts that are needed to upgrade from a 9.9 to a 20. thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 1:26 PM, mr 580 said:

Before you start messing around swapping parts to turn a 9.9 into a 20hp you should see what 9.9 does on a 16 footer.  My neighbor put a 20 hp Suzuki on a 16’ Lund in place of a 25 hp Merc 2 stroke (boat rated for 30hp).  With a driver and no passenger at wot the 20 hp Suzuki would go into over rev position with ecu going into limp home mode.  With a passenger he can go wot otherwise solo he only runs about 80 percent throttle. Once you get used to the rpm limit not an issue and boat is plenty fast for what it is.  Something to be aware of- no point in solving one problem only creating another. I knew guys that put 9.9 decals on 15hp to get around 10hp limits.

OK, So I mounted my 9.9 2021 Suzuki on my 16 ft Sylvan Pro Select. With the supplied 5 degree 4 blade prop. I could get 8.3 mph out of the engine. I installed the new ECM and Throttle plate to convert to a 20 HP motor. I also changed the prop to a 9.25 x 11. this is where the problems begin. Now the most I can get is 4400 RPM and a max speed of 7.7 MPH. Its not the prop. The engine just hits 4400 at 2/3 throttle and stops. if I trim the motor way up it still won't go over 4400 RPM. Any ideas