Kicker motor

paprman

14 hours ago, fisherdude said:

Might be a rev limiter in the Suzuki motor you have to look in the manual or shop manual

Sent from my SM-A102U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I’m looking into the rev limiters and the throttle position sensor. It’s a pain. Everything I try I have to drive the boat 20 miles to the lake to try things

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, Flygaff said:

I have received the motor and started everything to get it mounted. I have all the parts to convert to a 20 HP. I plan on doing a 20 hour break in before swapping the parts over. I'm hoping to get 20-24 mph with the upgraded engin and a 9.25 x 11 inch prop

OK I did the break in and swapped the prop to the 9.25 x 11. It did not work out very well. 4500 rpm and 8.5 knots. I ordered the 9.25 x 9 and will try it out next week

34 minutes ago, Flygaff said:

OK I did the break in and swapped the prop to the 9.25 x 11. It did not work out very well. 4500 rpm and 8.5 knots. I ordered the 9.25 x 9 and will try it out next week

I have a 9.9 on an 18’ Duckworth and get 6.2 mph so you’re doing well at nearly 10mph. I don’t have it hooked up to a tac so I don’t know the rpms but it’s full throttle.

26 minutes ago, swnoel said:

I have a 9.9 on an 18’ Duckworth and get 6.2 mph so you’re doing well at nearly 10mph. I don’t have it hooked up to a tac so I don’t know the rpms but it’s full throttle.

I thought I would get to 18-20. Now with the correct prop I’m hopeful I will see 12-14

You can get a small digital tach/hourmeter online for about $10.
Stick it on the front of the motor. Battery powered and is triggered by induction from one of the spark plug wires. Simply wrap the pickup wire around the outside of the spark plug wire a few times. Also monitors hours for oil change, etc. Used on ATV's, outboards, etc

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

There's a formula for how fast a motor will push a boat, if the motor is not large enough to get the boat on plane. If it won't get the boat up on plane, it makes no difference if it's a 9.9 or 20. That's what the book, or article said, and I believe it was US Coast Guard document. It has to do with the size and width of the hill, length, etc, and the horsepower of the mother wasn't even part of the formula!

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app