Summer fishing/camping trip with my boys: advice needed

hornet99

This isn't really a Lake Ontario specific question, but I'm hoping to tap into the vast fishing experience on this board.  My sons (14 and 16) and I are looking for some options to combine fishing and camping this July or August - 3 or 4 day weekend.  I'll find the camping, I just need some advice on the fishing locales.  We'd like to be within a 6 hour drive of Rochester and won't have access to a boat.  We're not fly fisherman, and will be using spinning rigs (I have just about every size, configuration, and lure).  As far as target fish and body of water, our options are open.  Small streams, rivers, ponds, lakes - Canada or U.S.  My ideal would be finding a trout stream in the Adirondacks or Canada, but without being fly fishermen or knowing exactly where to go I fear a 4 day skunk.  Anyone have any ideas for some outdoor fun with my sons?   Feel free to PM me if you're worried about "burning" any specific spot.

Thanks in advance!

-Dave 

Lots of variables:  Primitive camping where you haul or filter your water, and maybe have an outhouse or dig your own catholes, or a less primitive facility where there are bathrooms and showers, but also more neighbors and some 4 legged ones possible (bears); level of fishing experience of you or the kids; additional equipment you have or might have to get, like waders if you want to stream fish, etc;  tent or do you have a pop-up or RV, just for starters.  For a primitive experience that time of the year, I like the Moose River Plains in the western Adirondacks, you can fish the Moose River and the road holes on tributaries, or hike to many of the ponds.  The fishing is fair from shore, if you can cast far enough and are patient and they start biting you can catch some nice brookies.  However, you are 10-15 miles in from anything so you have to bring it all, water included, and washing equipment as it is outhouses only (and I recommend bringing some lime to " sweeten" them up), and as it is a 15 mph speed limit dirt road, high clearance on the vehicle is a good idea.  There is no fee to use this area but you will need to get a permit via mail from the local ranger for a stay of more than three nights.  For a less rigorous experience where you can access shopping or food, Nick's Lake outside of Old Forge is popular, and the lake is two story, so while there are trout, there are  also bass and panfish.  There may be canoe rentals available as well.  Eighth Lake is good, although shore fishing by the campground is limited, there are spots if you hike up the lake and a trail to Bug and Eagles Nest lakes, which are trout ponds.  If you want to try stream fishing, the other side of the mountains features the West Branch of the Ausable River, possibly the best trout stream east of the Rockies, and, while a lot of the anglers frequent the boulder sections which are very slick and slippery, and flyfish, there are some more placid stretches that are less difficult to wade or can be fished from shore, and I know a lot of folks who do very well on inline spinners and smaller minnow plugs, and the Lake Everest section above the Wilmington Dam produces some large fish to crawler fishing.  There is a large private camping facility or the State campground, both right on the river, and it is not too far to Lake Placid or other spots if you need another activity on a rainy day.  If trout and a forested area are not a priority, the campground at Fairhaven allows you to fish on the Lake Ontario side off the pier or in the pond, and there are panfish, bass, and pike, lots of  spots to shore fish.  My dad took my brothers and me there when we were kids (a century or so ago LOL!) and we always caught some fish, but I know people who are out there all the time still because they can catch lots of large pannies in the pond.

If you already have an idea of where you want to camp and it is in NYS, go to the DEC website fishing page and check out the Places to Fish page for the county of your choice and sites near to where you want to be will be featured.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7749.html

Edited by Lucky13

https://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/lake-francis-state-park  --lake francis state park in northern NH--great fishing in 2 story lake and rent a canoe there

https://www.frostpondcamps.com  --excellant 200 acre brook trout lake in maine's wilderness--camp and rent a canoe--nightcrawlers and non-lead splitshot all you need

i am sure there are similar places in NY.   Frost pond is a phenomenal place--true wilderness for miles and great fishing. 

i would definitely rent a canoe as having the boys on the water will be great memories. 

you may even buy a used one by your home for little $$.( 100-300)

at the 2 spots I recommended, cell service is spotty at best.  This is a great trip for you all.

good luck

coach

yes

i missed the 6 hours--probably 7-8

lol  but i am sure the adirondacks have similar places---look for a used canoe for the family to take, no registration for paddle power

may become a summer tradition--avoid the black fly time though

good luck

coach

yes the Adirondacks are beautiful and yes there is some great fishing and camping here,but unless you can change your time to april through may or September through October.i don't recommend coming here in july and august,im specificly talking about the old forge/inlet area.i live here,well not anymore in the summer months and the reason being,it has become an absolute nightmare.the area has become way too overcrowded and the area just cant handle it anymore.motels,campgrounds,parking areas,boat launches,hiking trails,and the lakes are just overwhelmed.there are fist fights at the boat launches every weekend and there are a few serious boat accidents on the lakes each summer,last year a power boat drove over the top of a canoe seriously injuring the people in the canoe.if you can change your time frame,id be happy to take you and your kids out fishing on the fulton chain or raquette lake.if you still wanna come this way in july or august,id be happy to help you out with where to stay and go,just shoot me a pm.

Not sure of your budget but I remember a trip my father took me on (40 yrs ago) but gave a lasting impression we rented a houseboat out of Thousand Islands for an extended weekend around Memorial Day quick google search will show you pricing we caught pike perch crappies
Just a thought

This is all great advice!  I'm familiar with the Old Forge/Inlet area as we rented cabins at the Old Forge Campground when the kids were ages birth through 10.  We also tent camped at Eighth Lake a few times and spent time on all the lakes in that chain.  Ironically we didn't get into fishing until after these early years. We also tent camped at Wellesley Island 2 years ago and spent a lot of time fishing from the bank and our rented kayaks.  We had a blast but didn't catch much more than small panfish (perch, bass, sunnies). I had the feeling that you needed to get out into the seaway more to target larger fish (Walleye and such).  Any, thanks again for the recommendations, I'll do some more research - feel free to chime in with other recommendations.

-Dave 

It is  a rare occasion now when a father has his children alone today and a camping trip is one of them. But to receive your kids attention you must collect the cell phones otherwise you are just a distraction in their lives.

There are quite a few places in the Adirondacks where your cell phone will be useless, although there are more towers every year.  That is one of the attractions of the Moose River Plains, you can get back in quite a distance on the network of old roads.  In any spot on the east coast, it is difficult to guarantee lots of fish or big fish, unless you want to camp out on a charter boat in Lake Ontario, which could get a little pricey for three days!

Another option could be Chautauqua-not as remote as Adirondacks but closer to Rochester.  You could use some of the saved travel dollars toward fishing boat rentals and the boys could catch a variety of fish.  Plenty of panfish along with good walleye, bass and musky fishing. There is some shore fishing, but is limited especially in July and August.  If you have access to a dock the kids could wear themselves out with worms under a bobber for panfish.

I won't have an issue with them on their phones as they like to both camp and fish and they are pretty good about the limits my wife and I set with them..

Does anyone have any knowledge of the fishing (trout or otherwise) in the upper Genesee (towards PA border)?  I've heard it can be good but don't know about the July/August timeframe. 

-Dave

Heavily stocked but not sure how hatchery closures will effect. Water is often too high in spring so July should be ok. If your boys can throw spinners on spinning gear, they can catch trout. 

Stay above Wellsville, or even Belmont, and there are lot of trout, some good ones.  Downstream to Portageville is great smallmouth water.  Below that you're into Letchworth and although Region 9 has that section included in their diary program, I have no idea how you would access it. 

Hatchery closures?

• Like 1

Stay above Wellsville, or even Belmont, and there are lot of trout, some good ones.  Downstream to Portageville is great smallmouth water.  Below that you're into Letchworth and although Region 9 has that section included in their diary program, I have no idea how you would access it. 

Hatchery closures?

I believe he is talking about the Rome Hatchery zebra mussel issue. I believe that hatchery supplies the Adirondacks not Southern Tier.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The upper Genesee River has several parking areas and canoe launches from Angelica downstream. Something new and locals use the river now. Holes formed by the Wiscoy Creek and Rushford Lake outlet contain good numbers of trout.Below  Fillmore be concerned of the falls in Letchworth Park. Find your good parking and haul out area first. The Belmont Dam is a river divide obstacle

On ‎2‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:31 PM, GAMBLER said:

I believe he is talking about the Rome Hatchery zebra mussel issue. I believe that hatchery supplies the Adirondacks not Southern Tier.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have since seen that, and, yes, it will be a real hit to the brook trout ponds in the mountains.  It will mean additional fish in some waters that are already infected with mussels, but I doubt DEC would truck fish that far, or stock them into the upper river as I have heard nothing of mussels above Letchworth (they could theoretically be below Letchworth due to impact from Conesus outlet and Hemlock outlet).  But Jimski used the plural (hatchery closures), and I have only heard about Rome.  It does kind of point out the need for some redundancy in raising sites, and if they can't clean up Rome or get away from the Delta Lake water source, maybe that become a new "Caledonia for Kings", but I'm not sure where they could put more brook trout culture.  And kings raised in Rome are not going to be looking for west end water although they won't be imprinted on the Salmon River.   Who knows, they could end up attempting to get to the Hudson and the NYC and NJ guys would not have to travel so far they could troll the East River!(Totally tongue in cheek!)

His "young boys" are 14 and 16, and should be capable of handling a canoe with proper instruction, and if it has capacity for three.  But it always a wise decision to scout new flowing water before boating it, and make some decisions on where to float and where to line or carry.