Summer fishing/camping trip with my boys: advice needed

hornet99

Sorry , but for the whole experience , nothing beats the ADKs . So much to do up there . The air is,so fresh . And I could go on . 

It is my experience that once warm weather hits  early June , the stream trout  bite turns into a fly fishing bite .

HB2,

So you believe we would stuggle to catch trout on our ultra-lights, chucking small spinners on 6lb fluoro?  That's my go-to (through June) at the "popular" spring fed trout stream closest to me.  We do well with that setup, but if it won't be productive in ADK in July/Aug, I may have to look at other options.

-Dave 

The brookies and browns in the streams can be vulnerable to redworm or pieces of nightcrawler (#8 or 6 hook) floated under a pencil bobber small split shot or none at all on ultralites at pretty much any point in the season whether ADK's or just about any other place.

My son lives in franklin mass.

Since he got his Traeger grill, he is a meat fisherman.  In the stocked streams by his house, He kills it with a 1/2 crawler on a slow death hook.

We just did this Sunday.  Place a small splitshot 12'' above the hook and reel slow and steady.  In two hours at 2 spots, I caught 3, he caught 5 & we kept the 3 that were 14-15''

for the Traeger smoker.

the browns, brookies and rainbows could not pass up the slow roll of the slow death hook.   Just sayin......

good luck

Take you're med heavy's for pike and large mouth, you're mediums for smallies, you're ultra lights and 3-5x's for everything. That's what I do. I fish the species that presents it self. Adk is the best. You'll have to put your time in, but it sounds like that's the whole idea. It's the journey. My favorite is the 5x with popper flys for smallies. Wait till a 30" pike takes it . Lol. You're a fisherman, go fishing, the rest is gravy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you are still considering the upper Genesee, the current issue of NY Outdoor News ( mine came yesterday, it will be on the newsstand in a week or so) back page article has a nice feature with a map of the PFR upstream from Belmont, and a little more detail; on fishing down there.  Lots ( ~ 18 miles) of public access, no boat necessary.   I'm very partial to the Adirondacks, but I may be checking out this area this year, as it is a lot less driving, so I can do a day trip where I have to camp if I go up north.

6 hours ago, ri rory said:

My son lives in franklin mass.

Since he got his Traeger grill, he is a meat fisherman.  In the stocked streams by his house, He kills it with a 1/2 crawler on a slow death hook.

We just did this Sunday.  Place a small splitshot 12'' above the hook and reel slow and steady.  In two hours at 2 spots, I caught 3, he caught 5 & we kept the 3 that were 14-15''

for the Traeger smoker.

the browns, brookies and rainbows could not pass up the slow roll of the slow death hook.   Just sayin......

good luck

Back when I use to stream trout a lot opening day was Mepps, Rooster rails , panther Martin's or small leaf worms with a split shot bounced on bottom . (Unless of course it was Naples , and we drifted sponge before you could use real eggs)  That worked great till the trees popped  and it warmed up . Then the fly guys kicked our ass as the bugs started to hatch . So we started doing that . 

IMO, take your boys to somewhere remote , off the beaten path where you can bond with them and cherish your time with them now because pretty soon they will want to do there own thing . 

Make it a yearly thing and maybe keep the date the same and make your reservations around new year so everyone can clear their calender . 

The spots I pm you about are just that .