Kicker mounting.

jerryriggin

It looks interesting. Is this mounted on the lower unit of the main engine?

The kicker seems to be better than 2 feet behind the boat that may cause it to come out of the water in wavy water.

I can think of several problems with this setup. First , because of the distance between the transom and the engine, the additional leverage will create a lot of stress on the transom.(you can easily pick up a gallon of milk with one hand,now try the same with that gallon on a 2 foot pole). Second, it will come out of the water in the waves. Third,is potential lower unit prop damage if the lower unit is raised with the kicker down.

I would say that this is a no-no.

• Like 1

In the pic it looks as though the motor bracket was originally located on the port side of the boat and there is plenty of room there. That is where I would be putting it.

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

In the pic it looks as though the motor bracket was originally located on the port side of the boat and there is plenty of room there. That is where I would be putting it.

Was thinking the same thing or it could have been a ladder. Regardless I would mount out there too

Also think a vertical lift bracket tucked closer to transom would be a better choice.  Likely would save weight and give better geometry plus get kicker deeper.  From the picture looks like quite a lot of weight added up high and to the rear of this boat- could effect handling and capacity.

Only time I've seen center mounted kickers were all on a shaft drive boats. I wouldn't even consider it with a I/O setup like that picture above. Not to mention you would have to run some type of kicker AP or electro steer setup as you likely wouldn't be able to connect to the main for steering. The offset from transom would be another concern as others mentioned above, I don't see the benefits.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 7:21 AM, Sk8man said:

X2.  You are just making everything more diffcult with that setup.

10 minutes ago, Sharky said:

? How so?

The ability to utilize ready made steering attachments. 

The ability to raise and lower the motors independently of one another.

And lastly I dont know what the transom looks like on that boat but that motor that far away from the transom is going to have a significant amount of leverage.  I certainly wouldnt trailer it anywhere with the kicker hanging back there.  If it was me I would do a panther adjustable mount on the port side.  If you are worried about getting the motor down far enough buy the 16 inch.  slap on an ezsteer and go fishing.  The bad about the port side mounting may be the boat may list to that side due to the weight of the kicker.  Easily remedied perhaps buy relocating some gear??? 
That setup at some point is going to cost you money when that lower unit comes up when the kicker is down.

• Like 1