New restrictions coming for stripers

Sk8man

I know this doesn't affect lake O and the Fingers but for those who fish the Hudson and other places....

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2020/02/stripped-bass-population-threatened-nys-to-impose-new-size-restrictions-for-keepers.html

I’m all for the slot limit imo.  I’ve been fishing the fall run for stripers from CT to ME since 2008 and have seen the rapid drop in numbers since probably 2010.  I used to have trips where I’d land 40 stripers in a 3 day stretch with my fly rod and the next year be lucky if I got 20 over a 3 day trip to now only a handful throughout the course of a week is now “good”. Those charter boats really put the hurt on those schools and multiple boats ran 2 or 3 times daily.   I get DEC updates whenever each state that I have fished has had a change in regs and strict regulations are in effect this year at least from North Carolina all the way to Mass.  Hopefully in 5 years or so we’ll start seeing good “runs” again and they can loosen up the regs a little.

Back in the late eighties or early nineties when I first started fishing for them on Cape Cod they had to be 40 inches to keep and as the years went along the size went down into the twenties. They built up populations relatively fast when the size limit was 40 inches. Like everything else  though things may be more complicated than they seem...the oceans are radically changing, bait populations changing etc. so maybe slot limits may not answer the problem.

End commercial fishing is not the answer. Monitoring the catch taken properly will prevent boom and bust cycles of fish populations. Sport fishing catch rates are difficult to estimate properly. Catch and release practices do not help management numbers. Population of fishing boats are falling annually as our youth do not take up fishing. Too many unharvested fish are a problem with fish cleaning declining.

The big problem is the political power that allows the commercial porgy fishery in Chesapeake Bay (for the cat food industry) to scoop up all the bait fish that stripers need.

Those big breeders are very few and far between the last few years unless you’re fishing “the canal”. It’s hard enough just to find a pod of schoolies.  I have never fished the Hudson run and it sounds like it’s a good opportunity to catch good numbers of fish.  It’s a shame the fishery has declined so much but it’s time something is done to try to build the population back up.  I get that baitfish have an impact but too many times I have found bays thick with baitfish without a single fish crashing the surface for them and it’s evident the gamefish just aren’t there. 

No shortage of white perch in the Chesapeake Bay which is the striper factory.
Porgies aren't in the upper reaches of the bay where the stripers spawn in the freshwater .

Last couple years fishing off Cape may NJ for stripers, we caught some ,but word was they were migrating outside the 3 mile line where your not allowed to fish for them.

For years all the fish agencies are always fiddling with striper seasons and size limits. And when the size and limit seems to tighten they come back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

11 hours ago, wishinfishin said:

No shortage of white perch in the Chesapeake Bay which is the striper factory.
Porgies aren't in the upper reaches of the bay where the stripers spawn in the freshwater .

Last couple years fishing off Cape may NJ for stripers, we caught some ,but word was they were migrating outside the 3 mile line where your not allowed to fish for them.

For years all the fish agencies are always fiddling with striper seasons and size limits. And when the size and limit seems to tighten they come back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Agreed

3 hours ago, Sk8man said:

That is sick......

That is what happens when the regulations set limits but do not punish this sort of attitude.

Anyway, that was in 2010. I wonder if it still happens.

Lets hope not. Wanton waste in any sport is unacceptable.

Edited by Sk8man

8 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Lets hope not. Wanton waste in any sport is unacceptable.

Those are commercial rigs not sports rigs, but just as disgusting.

At the time they had a 10 fish limit, so they fished all day and kept the 10 heaviest fish. the rest was thrown out.