New Hampshire LT record.... 37.65 lbs !!

They packed it in snow, waited for the state official to show up then took to a place w/a certified scale (maxed out their 30 lb scale), then brought it another certified scale w/higher max capacity to get an official weight.  Color fades rapidly after fish die.

This is what it looked like when it was 1st caught.

231081427_biglaker.thumb.png.b753b08f841ca0a4e142a057e99613a3.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gill-T said:

How did he get that thru the ice???  I know they are slimy but they must have had to carefully expand the hole exponentially.  

I agree but maybe they worked a larger opening in the ice.  When I was a kid I ice fished with family on Lake Memphremagog in Northern Vermont. They would have a long rectangular opening in the ice along 2 sides of the shanty so 2-3 people could fish on both sides.  Main Target was perch and smelt but when a trout, salmon or pike got on you had a chance to bring it up.  Toughest part I remember was they would scoot back and forth across the bottom of the opening and get off as the ice was 2-3 feet thick.

The 34 we caught in 2012 was kept on ice all day the day we caught it for the Orleans County Rotary Derby awards ceremony, frozen for a couple weeks and thawed for the LOC awards ceremony and still looked fresh. Hopefully it will not be a nightmare for the taxidermist. If they dry out, it makes for a tougher job for the taxidermist.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The article says the fish had a 27" girth.  If he used a 10" blade, the circumference ( distance around the hole or girth) would be 3.14 (pi)*d(10") =31.4".  It was probably dicey getting his head into the hole , looks like they had some kind of gaff, but no need to risk cutting the line enlarging the hole. 

• 2 weeks later...