Reels

11 hours ago, Ksmithvt said:

Looking into purchasing new reels, I can’t decide between the okuma cold waters or the convectors. Any info or recommendations? Running blue diamonds for rods. Mainly just land lock Atlantics and walleye with occasional laker.

Honestly they are very similar. The Cold Water reels have some simple upgrades to the them. Either choice would be good for you however whichever way you decide I would suggest buying the high speed models.

https://okumafishingusa.com/collections/reels/products/cold-water

https://okumafishingusa.com/collections/reels/products/convector-1

the convectors are good reels,but if you are only going to be chasing landlocks,lakers,browns,or walleye,just get the magda pro 15 0r 20's.i have around 20 of them I use to chase salmon and lakers in the Adirondacks and they work just fine.no need for the more expencive reel.you can get the magda pros for under 40 bucks.

20 minutes ago, finsntins said:

the convectors are good reels,but if you are only going to be chasing landlocks,lakers,browns,or walleye,just get the magda pro 15 0r 20's.i have around 20 of them I use to chase salmon and lakers in the Adirondacks and they work just fine.no need for the more expencive reel.you can get the magda pros for under 40 bucks.

Magdas with a $10 carbon fiber drag washer upgrade, I ran these reels for the first 2 years I started salmon fishing. You're not going to find a better performing reel for under $50. That being said now I run Coldwaters for salmon and convectors for browns/walleye. 

Im running the Magda now, i like them but would like little better drag. Maybe stick with them just not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Magdas with a $10 carbon fiber drag washer upgrade, I ran these reels for the first 2 years I started salmon fishing. You're not going to find a better performing reel for under $50. That being said now I run Coldwaters for salmon and convectors for browns/walleye. 

Any more info to share on the drag upgrade? Im running Magdas now but only thing is their drag sucks.

1 minute ago, Ksmithvt said:

Any more info to share on the drag upgrade? Im running Magdas now but only thing is their drag sucks.

Carbon Fiber drag washer upgrade. You can purchase the kit and install yourself, you can find parts diagrams and videos online that will help you DIY. Or you can send them out to any reel repair shop (Tuna Tom, Rochester Reel Repair, etc) and they can do it for you. Night and day difference imo. If you take your time and layout everything (take lots of pictures as you're disassembling) you can install the kits yourself in 15-20 mins per reel.

https://stores.tunasreeltroubles.com/1-1a-carbon-fiber-drag-washer-set-for-okuma-magda-magda-pro-series-reels-by-dragmasters/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve Been running Tekota 500s spooled with 300yds of 40lb braid on DRs for 3 years now with no issues. When the fleas show up I just top shot them with 100-150ft of 30lb big game. Also have half dozen Tekota 600s for divers etc. Hard to beat Shimano quality

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Depending on the kind of fishing that you do look into the Okuma low profile line counters. If you can run braid all season long they’ll have plenty of line capacity...are a lot more comfortable to have in the hand all day, and fit in the rod locker way better.  Once you have to add a top shot of heavy mono for the fleas they fill up quick.  The new low profile line convectors with the flipping switch are pretty sweet for running boards/snap weights.  Okuma stuff is def cheapish...but to give them credit they are innovating/adding features where nobody else really is.