Blacks Downrigger release

One of the pluses for the Blacks is that there is a large range of adjustment on them perhaps to the point of barely releasing if that is what is desired. It is one difference form the Chamberlain in fact as the upper end of the Chamberlain release is about 4 lbs or so. The difference can be important when using attractors  with lures as it may require a relatively higher setting than with just a spoon or stick to prevent false releases. Normally for usual fishing conditions I have my Blacks set for 3-3 1/2 lbs. I use an inexpensive luggage scale to set the releases. If I run cowbells, flashers, or spinnys in conjunction with the lure I usually estimate upward on the tension to about 4 lbs or so as I may not have the scale with me in the boat. After using Blacks since the mid seventies I can pretty much tell even without the scale where I'm at :lol:

P.S. I constantly monitor the tips of my rigger rods to spot possible "shorts" that may not have triggered the release. Chamberlains may be better at detecting them than Blacks for small fish and especially light hitters like Walleyes and Perch.

Edited by Sk8man