Dipsy rods.....Check your guides!!

I have been using 2 Cabelas dipsey rods for about 4 seasons. They sell for about $40.

You would not believe how badly the guides are grooved.

After some research, I have found most rods in this price range use cheap aluminum oxide guides. No match for stainless wire.

Now the dilema, buy new rods with crap guides or new guides for a old rod?

I chose new guides. The best are SIC (carbide$$$) next are Alconite($$) , twice the hardness of the next,Hardalloy ( high grade aluminum oxide $). There a few others out there but are mostly trade names for aluminum oxide.

I went with Fuji Alconite new concept guides, $25 per rod and about four hours per rod to strip and re-wrap.

I have not tried the all roller route yet, have heard alot of negatives.

Just thought I would pass this info on, may save someone some tackle

Holy mackerel;

The Shimano roller rods do not have this problem when using 30lb 7 strand stainless trolling wire. You may be talking about some cheap immitation or another type of roller rod used for really large line, but what you say above will never happen with the 30lb trolling wire & Shimano Talora rods.

Please do not make untrue statements about products.

John

HEY ICE dont see where shimano or talora was mentioned of editeded out by "holy mackerel. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE UNTRUE STATMENTS ABOUT HOLY MACKEREL. WHAT HE SAID IS TRUE AND FACT WITH ROLLER TIPS MAYBE NOT ALL BUT OVER THE YEARS IVE HAD IT HAPPEN ALSO ROLLERS CAN STICK IF NOT DISSASEMBLED AND MAINTIANED THEN A GROVE WILL BE WORN IN ABOUT 30 SEC WITH A LOCKUP. and for once just once try to find a positive comment or remark about a post dig deep there has to be a drop of positive in all that negitive.

Hey Ray;

If you looked at my first post above, where I said that you can eliminate worn guides by using roller rods (specifically Talora Roller Rods) you might have understood. I have been running these rods for the last six years with zero problems. I stick to what I said about the Shimano product.

I would like to know if the problems stated above by you were with Shimano roller rods? Further, I do not believe they come apart, so if you want to do anything, you could spray them with reel majic or somthing that lubricates periodically.

Apparently you only like to comment on my posts where I am questioning what is being said, as I frequently am positive with my posts.

I will just consider the source!

John

Ray;

I get it, it is a long way to the bottom of your drain field, maybe you should bring the Scott Air pak.

So, I guess you do not use Shimano talora rods either. No wonder you are having issues!

Have a great day, & remember to breathe deeply while on the job(s).

Didn't mean to start any problems. I based my opinion on the past 30 years experience and from watching guys throw there rods on the dock and head off to buy a spool of wire. I assume they didn't have Shimano rods.

It was an opinion. I guess it should have a few more years under my belt before I comment, Sorry

holy mackeral let me guess hmmmmm. ICEBOY i do use one of those air pack thingies some times i do get into the sewers ,funny you should bring that up after i mentioned lowering myself to your level.Of all places for you to put me with you below me .So if im in the sewer and your beneth me that woul make you.........rats i just steped into something awe another pile of crap... gotta scrape my shoe see ya.........

Ray;

Here's one I am sure you have dealt with before personnaly:

Old lady to the plumber, my toilet is plugged with sh!?, Plumber to the old lady, lady it might be sh!? to you but it is my bread & butter.

Just remember to wash your hands before lunch!

This is getting to be too much fun!!!!!

John

back in the day when i used to keep the trenches clean i pulled the cover on a filtration box (gravel box before leachfield)and it was plugged with a layer of condoms,the look on the wifes face as she stood beside me told quite a story and it wasnt embarresment.then 20 years ago i went to a technission school fer heat and cool and now i are one.,,,Now keep your post and replys possitive and constructive .if you ant smiling as you type preview yur post till you are....ding.... opps my toast is done i gotta butter it...mmmmmMMMM poopy spread.light- n- turdy taste and smells like the real thing .

Now boys, we need to play nice. Spring is just a few short weeks away and we'll be pounding the shoreline for Browns. Ray, I get a kick out of your posts and appreciate your twisted sense of humor! Keep up the good work. Do you and Iceman know one another? I hope so. Tight lines everyone and get ready for spring. Joe.