2019 Lund 1800 Sport Angler for trolling

I am seriously considering buying a 2019 Lund Sport Angler in the next two weeks. I am somewhat disappointed I cant find one (a 2019/2020) without a motor as the only options seem to be Merc. My preference hands down would be Yamaha. So, I am a avid troller and was wondering if some of you could suggest a trolling motor/fish finder combo that has a bottom building option. As a commercial fisherman from Maine I have used the Max Sea and Time Zero for going on 20 years so I thought this would be a great option for trolling. I have been looking at the Garmin Ultra and the Garmin trolling motors. Seems like this may work well but I am not sure the Garmin trolling motor has a long enough shaft. Some times I troll live and sewn bait so .9 to 1.1 is the target speed. So for trolling and using the trolling motor to steer the boat while using the kicker to push the boat what are some good options?

You can buy a Lund with a Honda from the factory. Yamaha is a no go. I have a 9.9 Honda kicker on mine and can get down to bait speed with ease. Nice to hear of someone else lacing smelt. Good luck,   Matt

Go to a dealer that sells Lund and tell them you want a Yamaha. They can make it happen. You might not get the best price though.

My friend bought one that had a Merc already mounted and he told them he wanted a Yamaha....and they made it happen. With respect to electric motors, you will need at least a 60 inch shaft.

1 hour ago, RodBuster said:
Go to a dealer that sells Lund and tell them you want a Yamaha. They can make it happen. You might not get the best price though.
My friend bought one that had a Merc already mounted and he told them he wanted a Yamaha....and they made it happen. With respect to electric motors, you will need at least a 60 inch shaft.

Go 72" shaft. I have that and Yamahas on my fishmaster 196. I wanted the Yamahas....that was happening or the boat brand was changing. The 72" TM shaft is what i have an is good until a chop greater than 2'-3' then it depended on situations. Pitching into them...was less good. Going with them, no prob.  

I had the same 72" shaft on my prior 18pro starweld….the usefulness on 2-3' into them vs with them was pretty similar.  60 would be fine if you are calm water only.  

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Fat Trout

Thanks all for the replys.

This is where I am at. I have been looking around for a 2019-2020 Sport Angler with out a motor so far I have not found one. So I thought I would order one and wait the 6-8 weeks. There is a dealer in Hookset New Hamshire with several 2019s with Merc 150hp and a 9.9 kicker for $42,000. So I asked how much for one without any motors. He called me back and said $35,600. We talked for awhile but these numbers just dont make since. See Brunswick Marine ownes Merc and Lund boats so they push hard for the complete package. I know two people on the lake I live on that had issues with their Merc's less then 2 years old that the company would not go good for. 

If any of you know of a dealer with a 1800-2000 Sport Angler with out motors let me know. Or a good used one.

13 hours ago, RodBuster said:

I havent found one yet that will. I have spoken to 3 Lund dealers in Maine and one in NH

Crestliner makes a similar style boat to the sport angler, they call theirs the Authority. Not sure if it's any easier to get Yamahas on a crestliner but just fyi. Sport Angler was on my short list if I stayed with aluminum. 

7 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

Crestliner makes a similar style boat to the sport angler, they call theirs the Authority. Not sure if it's any easier to get Yamahas on a crestliner but just fyi. Sport Angler was on my short list if I stayed with aluminum. 

Unfortunately it wont be any easier, Crestliner is also owned by Brunswick.

Edited by Rookie Fisherman

3 hours ago, Scalloper 1 said:

New Hamshire with several 2019s with Merc 150hp and a 9.9 kicker for $42,000. So I asked how much for one without any motors. He called me back and said $35,600.

If that 150 is their 4-stroke its a great engine. Its one of the USA engines built in Wisconsin. I have one with on the small boat with 300+ hours not one issue ever.

That 9.9 Kicker is built in partnership Tohatsu in China with all their other engines 30HP & under.

Merc Mid engines 40-75hp are built in a different Chinese factory.

It will be nearly impossible to find a newer Lund with a Yamaha on it.

I have had probably a dozen boats with outboards over the years all Merc's except one with an Evinrude.

Only ever had a problem with one. It was one of the early 50hp 4 strokes. Blew it up with 10 hours on it. Funny thing is that the mid engine four stroke Mercurys back then were built in a partnership with Yamaha. That was over 20 years ago though.

All that said Yamaha builds great engines. I honestly think you can go wrong with either.

Something to consider is service. If you have a good reliable repair shop near you that services one brand and not the other it should be taken into consideration.

25 minutes ago, Rookie Fisherman said:

If that 150 is their 4-stroke its a great engine. Its one of the USA engines built in Wisconsin. I have one with on the small boat with 300+ hours not one issue ever.

That 9.9 Kicker is built in partnership Tohatsu in China with all their other engines 30HP & under.

Merc Mid engines 40-75hp are built in a different Chinese factory.

It will be nearly impossible to find a newer Lund with a Yamaha on it.

I have had probably a dozen boats with outboards over the years all Merc's except one with an Evinrude.

Only ever had a problem with one. It was one of the early 50hp 4 strokes. Blew it up with 10 hours on it. Funny thing is that the mid engine four stroke Mercurys back then were built in a partnership with Yamaha. That was over 20 years ago though.

All that said Yamaha builds great engines. I honestly think you can go wrong with either.

Something to consider is service. If you have a good reliable repair shop near you that services one brand and not the other it should be taken into consideration.

Yes sir, I have a great relationship with the local Yamaha dealer. As a commercial fisherman that travels the cost of New England I see more Yamahas then all others combined.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

How do the Crestliners hold up compared to the Lunds? And is Lund still building the same qulity they were prior to being bought out by Brunswick? You know how things go. Normally when a company is bought out quality deteriorates.

25 minutes ago, Scalloper 1 said:

What are some other Brands that build aluminum boats that are as good or better then Lund? For fishing only

You should look at the west coast style boats.

Hewescraft, Northriver, Kingfisher, Thunderjet, Weldcraft are a few.

Typically all heavy gauge welded boats with no plastic, no cheapness. Utilitarian in style but well thought out and build to last

19 minutes ago, Rookie Fisherman said:

Typically all heavy gauge welded boats with no plastic, no cheapness. Utilitarian in style but well thought out and build to last

Those guys all make really nice boats, the problem with those boats are the fact they are west coast boats. Very few dealers for those brands locally, some dealers can get their boats but are they an authorized dealer to do repair/warranty work? Closest Hewescraft dealer listed on their site is in Ohio. Closest Weldcraft dealer is in Michigan. I would do some research into that especially if you're going to be buying new.

Other options are Ranger, Starweld, Alumacraft… All of which have multiple dealers in NY. Are they as good or better than Lund, that's up to you to decide, I had an Alumacraft boat for the last 7 years and it's going on 20yrs old and still catches fish.

• Like 1

Robbins Marine, Milton PA sells Lund and Yamaha.

FWIW the friend I talked about bought the Lund Impact. I own an Alumacraft Navigator. They are very similar. The Lund is no better.

That being said, Bombardier just bought Alumacraft, and now Yamaha said they are not sending any motors to Alumacraft.

Good luck with your pursuit...its always fun to look at new boats.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

Closest Hewescraft dealer listed on their site is in Ohio. Closest Weldcraft dealer is in Michigan. I would do some research into that especially if you're going to be buying new.

Its a valid point FF34 and something any prospective buyer should certainly consider. Especially Scalloper as he is even further away up in Maine.

Before I bought mine a had a good conversation with both the manufacture & the dealer regarding how any warranty service would be handled. 

As of this point I have only had one small issue with the boat, contacted the manufacture directly and the part was shipped out the next day. Now how would they handle a major issue, hard to say unless it happens. 

Most cosmetic & electrical issues on newer boats can be easily fixed. The problem would be if something major to the hull happened, my thinking was that these boats are built like brick s**t houses so a hull failure would be really slim. 

One good thing about the West Coast companies is that the majority (not all) are small independent boat builders. Customer service & satisfaction is still very important to them. 

I do admit buying from a West Coast company with no local representation is a leap of faith to a degree.

Thunderjet has a Dealer in PA & Kingfisher has a couple dealers across the border.

Scalloper 1

I bought a new Hewescraft SR220 (HC after this) from a dealer in Illinois in 2011 (Calumet Marine, who is no longer a dealer),  after owning 2 different Lunds, a 16 ft side console, & a 20' Newport CC, loved them both, but they are without a doubt not in the same league as my HC.  I have had zero issues with the HC. HC's make up a large portion of boats under 30' registered  in Alaska' for the simple reason that they are bullet proof. Hull material is significantly thicker, & the welding is a thing of beauty for sure.  You pay for what you get in this case.  

Best of luck with your decision!

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rookie Fisherman said:

http://www.clemensmarina.com/boatdetail.php?id=3252

http://www.clemensmarina.com/boatdetail.php?id=3410

You talked me into it. These look like two options that would also be better boats in salt water. Notice the North River is a 2005 but its 96" wide vs the 2019 Hewes Craft at 86"

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

Scalloper 1

I bought a new Hewescraft SR220 (HC after this) from a dealer in Illinois in 2011 (Calumet Marine, who is no longer a dealer),  after owning 2 different Lunds, a 16 ft side console, & a 20' Newport CC, loved them both, but they are without a doubt not in the same league as my HC.  I have had zero issues with the HC. HC's make up a large portion of boats under 30' registered  in Alaska' for the simple reason that they are bullet proof. Hull material is significantly thicker, & the welding is a thing of beauty for sure.  You pay for what you get in this case.  

Best of luck with your decision!

John

Thanks. Check out the two options I called about above. The North River is older 2005 but only 120 hrs on the Yamaha 

12 minutes ago, Scalloper 1 said:

You talked me into it. These look like two options that would also be better boats in salt water. Notice the North River is a 2005 but its 96" wide vs the 2019 Hewes Craft at 86"

The Hewes Pro-V & Searunner have wider beams than the Sportsman model. You should look at the ET versions. Extended transom, longer hull.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scalloper 1 said:

18 Pro-V with extended transom below. About same hull length as the 20 sportsman but wider, a little deeper, thicker hull etc. Worth a look.

Depending on budget the 19' SeaRunner is also one to consider.

http://www.clemensmarina.com/boatdetail.php?id=3176

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rookie Fisherman said:

18 Pro-V with extended transom below. About same hull length as the 20 sportsman but wider, a little deeper, thicker hill etc. Worth a look.

Depending on budget the 19' Searunner is also one to consider.

http://www.clemensmarina.com/boatdetail.php?id=3176

Yes, between this 18 and a 19'. Rigged right I could fish salmon in a 3,000 acre lake here in Maine or stripers on the coast and the occasional blue finn tuna trip out to 12 miles.