Atlantic Salmon, how big?

5 minutes ago, Frogger said:

My younger years I did some electro shocking on Irondequoit for the Atlantic run and seen some beauties 15+ in their awesome colors. Wish I took some pics back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow. I catch good numbers of atlantics here in Maine (109 in July) but most 1.5-3 lbs

Edited by Scalloper 1

My biggest is about 12. I see pics of mid to upper teens fish every year. They are pretty rare here so it's tough to say though. We catch 1-2 per year, usually.

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

7 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I have seen pictures of some low twenties. I took an 18 lber years back. Those are considered freaks. 

Wow, Did you get a mount Gill or Pictures?

2 hours ago, PD Buoy said:

Wow, Did you get a mount Gill or Pictures?

Ha......I ate it.  Picture was put into an article I wrote for Great Lakes Angler Magazine but I would have to dig hard to find a picture of it.  

We boated a 14 lber for a Sabre’s alumni event. I told the gentleman he would never catch one bigger in his lifetime so he kept it to get it mounted. One other maybe 12 lbs but the majority caught each year are under the 25” minimum. In the lake they are poor fighters. Give me the pacific species every day of the week. 

I wonder if the quality of the fight in the lake has to do with catching them on relatively short rods built to handle from  2 to 6 ounces of weight.  They fight (the couple I've caught)at least as well as steelhead in the streams when the water is warmer, and steelhead in warmer river water swim rings around kings, just don't get as big.

I think Atlantics are the pinnacle of the salmon/trout world. If someone told me that they would drop Chinooks tomorrow and focus exclusively on trout and Atlantics, I would be beyond thrilled. I am sure if the gear was downsized, they would be a great lake fight. I am aware that my opinion on this matter would not be shared by a single charter captain or industry member, so at least I am self aware. Would just be cool to see our rivers filled with fish that don't die when they come in and were native once upon a time.....

I think Atlantics are the pinnacle of the salmon/trout world. If someone told me that they would drop Chinooks tomorrow and focus exclusively on trout and Atlantics, I would be beyond thrilled. I am sure if the gear was downsized, they would be a great lake fight. I am aware that my opinion on this matter would not be shared by a single charter captain or industry member, so at least I am self aware. Would just be cool to see our rivers filled with fish that don't die when they come in and were native once upon a time.....

If we could make it so that it was like it was in the early 1800s, I doubt anyone would complain. The lake as it exists now is a very poor habitat (in many ways) for Atlantic salmon, and even intensive stocking efforts have failed. Maybe someday, but I doubt any time soon. I've researched this a bunch.

Essentially, as long as the lake has predominantly alewife as a forage base, and until the rivers are intensively restored, it's not gonna happen.

1 minute ago, rdebadts said:

If we could make it so that it was like it was in the early 1800s, I doubt anyone would complain. The lake as it exists now is a very poor habitat (in many ways) for Atlantic salmon, and even intensive stocking efforts have failed. Maybe someday, but I doubt any time soon. I've researched this a bunch.

Essentially, as long as the lake has predominantly alewife as a forage base, and until the rivers are intensively restored, it's not gonna happen.

Don't misunderstand, I did not say it was viable to have a natural self sustaining population. Very simply, I would rather the atlantics replace the chinooks in the current stocking effort. Pump that many atlantics into the lake, and everyone would start catching them. But alas, they do not consume the alewives at a rate that is satisfactory to everyone. Then again, if you also told me that stripers would be replacing kings, I would be all for that too. Once you cast to breaking bass in the surf, all other fishing just kinda seems more bland. 

If we could make it so that it was like it was in the early 1800s, I doubt anyone would complain. Reports were of average size 8-12 lbs with fish up to 40 lbs. The lake as it exists now is a very poor habitat (in many ways) for Atlantic salmon, and even intensive stocking efforts have failed. Maybe someday, but I doubt any time soon. I've researched this a bunch.

2 hours ago, Lucky13 said:

I wonder if the quality of the fight in the lake has to do with catching them on relatively short rods built to handle from  2 to 6 ounces of weight.  They fight (the couple I've caught)at least as well as steelhead in the streams when the water is warmer, and steelhead in warmer river water swim rings around kings, just don't get as big.

Ugly Stick one-piece lite action rods with light line. Wrong again Lucky. I am sure they fight better in streams. Interesting that a master center-pinned friend of mine has been catching them at Oak Orchard in  February and they were dropping eggs and milt. They seem to be adapting to Great Lakes conditions like some of the pacific species. 

Haven't fished Ontario for a few years now. Caught this Atlantic out of Olcott. Can't remember the year, but I do know it was the same year Jim on Hawg caught his big Atlantic. This one was almost 18 lb's,  and was such a pretty fish we had it mounted. Caught a 14 lbs and a couple between 10 to 12 lbs as well. We did get an Ontario slam that year too( King, Coho, Steelhead, Atlantic, Brown Trout  & Laker all in same day) After a good couple years ,it went downhill and we might get one or two a year around barley legal size.

atlantic pic.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, brings back a lot of memories. Haven't followed the boards or fishing on lake O much last couple years. Might get the itch and drag the Sea Hunt CC up this summer for old times sake. We will see how it goes. 1st tuna/dolphin trip of the year is 3 weeks away, can't wait to get back to our place in NC.