Dick's Sporting Goods pulling hunting gear from 440 more locations

Dick’s Sporting Goods has announced plans to remove the hunting departments from “approximately” 440 additional locations, following a similar — albeit much smaller — effort last year.In a press release issued Tuesday along with the company’s fourth-quarter earnings report, Dick’s confirmed that it would be removing the hunting departments sometime “in fiscal 2020,” though there was no specific time frame announced.Dick’s also declined to say which stores, in particular, would be affected.

The company had previously removed guns and ammunition from 125 of its locations roughly one year ago, after Dick’s first announced it would no longer be selling assault-style weapons — at any of its locations — in the wake of the tragic Parkland school shooting.

The stores also raised the age requirement for gun purchases to 21.

At the time, gun and ammunition manufacturers including O.F. Mossberg and Sons, Inc., and MKS Supply, announced they would no longer be doing business with Dick’s.

These moves apparently had little effect on the company’s sales, however, as Dick’s chairman and CEO reported “strong fourth quarter results” in the latest earnings report, as well as “growth across each of our three primary categories of hardlines, apparel and footwear.”

The company’s shares also jumped 12.2 percent in Tuesday premarket trading. During 2019, we made meaningful changes across our business, which fueled our strongest annual comp sales gain since 2012 and a 14-percent increase in non-GAAP earnings per diluted share over 2018,” said Dick’s chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack. “I'd like to thank all our teammates for their hard work and commitment to DICK'S Sporting Goods, which made this performance possible."

A representative for Dick’s Sporting Goods was not immediately available to comment.

The company currently operates 726 total stores in 47 states, as well as 94 Golf Galaxy locations and 27 Field & Stream stores.

Local Dick's store in Victor, N.Y. is DOUBLING its current store size

Dick's Sporting Goods to move into former Sears at Eastview Mall.

Construction is underway at the vacant Sears department store at Eastview Mall.

Dick's Sporting Goods will be relocating its current store at Cobblestone Court to the mall by August.

Sears closed its Eastview Mall store in November.

Dick's Sporting Goods will double its retail space with its move to mall.

The Pennsylvania-based chain is the largest sporting goods retail company in the United States, with about 850 stores. 

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

How does a Pennsylvania based chain store get rid of anything HUNTING in its stores ?

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

If Dicks and Field and Stream are owned by the same parent company, I don't get how them removing guns and hunting equipment from the Dicks stores can be considered anything except a business decision. I'd guess they want to move in a different direction, and I doubt any real sportsman will miss them. But it can't be them trying to make a political statement...otherwise, that would be the worst kind of hypocrisy. Never happens, right?

3 hours ago, Gator said:

If Dicks and Field and Stream are owned by the same parent company, I don't get how them removing guns and hunting equipment from the Dicks stores can be considered anything except a business decision. I'd guess they want to move in a different direction, and I doubt any real sportsman will miss them. But it can't be them trying to make a political statement...otherwise, that would be the worst kind of hypocrisy. Never happens, right?

From what I heard they're selling the field and stream stores. The one in Elmira has already changed names. Stack's wife is a left wing loonie.

Found this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dicks-sporting-goods-sells-field-and-stream-stores-gun-sales-2019-10?op=1

Edited by Charlie P

Transit rd in Amherst already discontinued selling hunting and fishing gear and Blvd mall dicks is getting rid of there fishing equipment as well .  I did hit the surplus / on sale bins and bought 10 a-tom-mic flies buy one get one free . 

When I worked for Cabela's, 50% of the total sales were clothing. The hunting/fishing lines were to entice the men to bring in their wives where the real sales were made. Sears for years sold tools where the women brought in their husbands so they could do work around the house and the wives shopped for clothes.