Coronavirus (COVID-19) - How does the outbreak affect the Fishing & Hunting Community?

How will Coronavirus (COVID-19) affect your time on the water and in the woods this year?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. How will Coronavirus (COVID-19) affect your time on the water and in the woods this year?

• I will Fish & Hunt MORE
    • I will Fish & Hunt ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT
    • I will Fish & Hunt LESS

With all the recent news headlines both domestically and worldwide, I wanted to get the thoughts and opinions of LOU members on how they think the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak will affect their fishing and hunting time for this coming year.  To me personally, I can't think of a better time in my own history to be a fisherman or hunter as being isolated on the water or in the woods seems pretty appealing to me on any given normal day; let alone these trying times.  If you factor in the price of oil collapsing making time on the water a bit easier on the wallet and you can tell I'm looking forward to spring. 

So I ask the LOU membership, how will Coronavirus affect your time on the water and in the woods this year?

coronavirus_fishing_hunting.png

So, you know that the low price of oil is intended by Saudi Arabia to drive private companies..such as American shale companies...out of business? It is economic jihad. No political statement is intended here, but Trump has little to do with it. We will benefit in the short-term and suffer greatly long-term.

As for COVID-19, we were not proactive enough as a society. If things get as bad as I anticipate, it could be difficult to focus on hunting and fishing. We are in uncharted waters now.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Gator said:

So, you know that the low price of oil is intended by Saudi Arabia to drive private companies..such as American shale companies...out of business? It is economic jihad. No political statement is intended here, but Trump has little to do with it. We will benefit in the short-term and suffer greatly long-term.

As for COVID-19, we were not proactive enough as a society. If things get as bad as I anticipate, it could be difficult to focus on hunting and fishing. We are in uncharted waters now.

Nail on head

• Like 1

I can just see Cuomo cancelling opening day of the trout season to eliminate the shoulder to shoulder crowd around the big digger in Naples, or the throng at Powdermill, even after sending hundreds of thousands of college age potential vectors back to their aging parents from SUNY schools  But as Gator says, there is a LOT we don't know yet.  I'm not sure how much more quickly the Feds could have initiated the China travel ban, they got lambasted as xenophobes when they did start.  And I don't know how much information the Chinese actually shared that would facilitate further action.  I know my wife is under a partial travel ban, if she leaves town on any business, her workplace requires her to self quarantine for 14 days on return, that will put the kibosh on any distance camping or fishing trips.  I'm still with Dr. Mendoza, keep washing those hands.  Personally, I think there is a huge amount of over reacting going on, and I'm in the high risk group.  But I remember West Nile, we were all going to die then, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gator said:

What more could we have done as a society? Compared to the SARS and H1N1 pandemics I'd say we have been very proactive.

Out on the water or calling in a turkey could be the best place to be.

Edited by Charlie P
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gator said:

The saudis and Russians are in a battle over production.  US is a big player now as opposed to even ten years ago.  It’s not economic Jihad, it’s the market correcting itself. Trump has very little to do with it but it’s not going to affect the US long-term as long as we can produce, oil. It’s just a fact.

ten years ago H1N1 was much more severe.  There was no panic. Leads me to believe a bit of this is political. Just my opinion. I have two very close friends who are ER doctors and a good friend who is a cardiologist.  All three agree that this is all hysteria. These are medical doctors.  Being proactive certainly helps.  It’s certainly one thing if you are  elderly or have a weak immune system. But That applies to at all times.  

As for me, prices for air travel has fallen so I’ll take asvantage of it as I come up from Florida to fish in New York about 13 times a year. Maybe I’ll make it 20 this year!

3 minutes ago, rhorst77 said:

Leads me to believe a bit of this is political. Just my opinion.

They Dems are in shambles with their elects....sooooo....OMG the FLU!  PANDEMIC!  EVERYONE LOOK AWAY!  It's a proven pattern.  Ok, no more politics on this thread.  Carry on.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tall Tails said:

Leave it to Monroe county to have the first case in WNY and CNY.  Your all dirty.. wash your hands!  :)

Yes, Monroe County still has viable industries, businesses, educational institutions, and tourist attractions that draw visitors, so of course we will get vector borne diseases sooner than some of the surrounding areas that may only have to worry about inbred maladies!  :lol:

15 minutes ago, rhorst77 said:

ten years ago H1N1 was much more severe.  There was no panic. Leads me to believe a bit of this is political. Just my opinion. I have two very close friends who are ER doctors and a good friend who is a cardiologist.  All three agree that this is all hysteria. These are medical doctors.  Being proactive certainly helps.  It’s certainly one thing if you are  elderly or have a weak immune system. But That applies to at all times. 

It is interesting that the people who are most rational in their reaction to all this are medical professionals.

• Like 1

Effectively shutting the economy just like after 9/11.   Once the snowball starts hard to get the economy up again.   Interest rates at record lows, last four or five years have been great for the auto makers so no backlog of old vehicles on the road like there was then.  Plus the direct costs of the illness.

It's an election year 

All I've heard beforee the last 6 weeks is that The current administration has not done enough about this . 

So last night you saw what politicly he was forced into doing . 

Personally , I don't like all the scare tactics being used . It is creating panic in the mentally week . Sure you should prepare yourself , but you should always do that  . I tried to but toilet paper 2 nights,ago and the shelves were bare. 

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

regardless of severity of the virus and the illness the impact is real and long lasting. Years of financial growth has already ween wiped out  

And this is what the media and Dems want because this is their only chance of getting Biden in there .

Can you imagine where we would be with a Hillary economy if this happened ? We would be screwed. 

Also most of our meds are produced in China .And they have threatened to cut us off.  Trump has been saying since the beginning he wants all this manufacturing to come back to the U.S.

And he gets railed for it . Guess he was right . 

Edited by HB2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie P said:

What more could we have done as a society? Compared to the SARS and H1N1 pandemics I'd say we have been very proactive.

Out on the water or calling in a turkey could be the best place to be.

We could have had enough test kits available that when a case was identified, we could have surveyed the actual extent of the problem, and then isolated it more effectively. Our inability to contain represents an epic failure, given the advance notice. From top to bottom, the administration in this country buried their heads in the sand and firmly stated that it wasn't our problem and wouldn't be an issue for Americans. Now that the cat is out of the bag, it's too late to be proactive, and so we've become knee-jerk reactive and everybody is jumping aboard. Heads-up: it is too late.

15 minutes ago, HB2 said:

It's an election year 

All I've heard beforee the last 6 weeks is that The current administration has not done enough about this . 

So last night you saw what politicly he was forced into doing . 

Personally , I don't like all the scare tactics being used . It is creating panic in the mentally week . Sure you should prepare yourself , but you should always do that  . I tried to but toilet paper 2 nights,ago and the shelves were bare. 

And this is what the media and Dems want because this is their only chance of getting Biden in there .

Can you imagine where we would be with a Hillary economy if this happened ? We would be screwed. 

Also most of our meds are produced in China .And they have threatened to cut us off.  Trump has been saying since the beginning he wants all this manufacturing to come back to the U.S.

And he gets railed for it . Guess he was right . 

I'm sure people in Italy are buying this as being a media PR stunt for a US election year

6 minutes ago, Gator said:

We could have had enough test kits available that when a case was identified, we could have surveyed the actual extent of the problem, and then isolated it more effectively. Our inability to contain represents an epic failure, given the advance notice. From top to bottom, the administration in this country buried their heads in the sand and firmly stated that it wasn't our problem and wouldn't be an issue for Americans. Now that the cat is out of the bag, it's too late to be proactive, and so we've become knee-jerk reactive and everybody is jumping aboard. Heads-up: it is too late.

He shut down travel from China and got called a racist for it. How do you have test kits available for a new strain of a virus that quickly. This administration has acted quicker than we did with SARS and H1N1. We sent to China and pressured their government for actual numbers

When did we start production of the tests?

Bandrus I haven't looked into it maybe you have what did Italy do to contain the virus? 

We're about 50 days behind China in this out break so we can expect a drastic increase in cases of the virus.

So I think we're doing what we should, and the doctor from the CDC said it will get worse before it gets better. 

Edited by Charlie P
  • Like 3