JUST A REMINDER

Wear Requirements for Personal Flotation Devices

The following persons must wear a Type I, II, III or V PFD of proper size and serviceable condition:

• Anyone riding in a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks, between November first and May first.

JDE.png

dyj.png

It is a good idea anytime with any size boat actually. I lost a good friend (also was a charter captain) during a summer when he was fishing alone and apparently went to take a wizz and fell overboard striking his head (no life jacket on). They found him the next day in about 8 ft of water. Boating can be some serious stuff and taking precautions is important and there is even less room for error in cold weather.

Edited by Sk8man

Beside rescue efforts will be less dangerous out there, your surviving family members will be able to collect your life insurance, Social Security and benefits after the recovery is done. In warm summer water temperatures body floatation happens after a day, cold waters delay the floatation for sometimes months. I learned this in my USCG service where we pulled many bodies from the water. It was not always "life savers".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...