Other JUST A REMINDER

Wear Requirements for Personal Flotation Devices

The following persons must wear a Type I, II, III or V PFD of proper size and serviceable condition:

• Anyone riding in a pleasure vessel less than twenty-one feet, including rowboats, canoes, and kayaks, between November first to May first.
Edited by gasman2438

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
23 hours ago, gasman2438 said:

Print

Just watched 5 boats come in from fishing all under 21 foot no life jackets on any one. Sorry but that really upset me. I give UP.

Just take care of your self and you will be fine!

17 hours ago, gasman2438 said:

I gess it's in my old DNA I try to help people. Former fire chief, ambiance driver, first ade.  You are right can't fix stupid

I respect your concerns about others safety.  And your work in helping people.  But I also respectfully disagree.  It is in my DNA that people should have the right to decide what is safe or not for themselves.  Even if their judgement is way off.   

As far as the life jacket rule.  You mention that you were upset because the boats were under 21 ft that you saw.  Falling off a 22 ft boat is no more safe then falling off a 20 foot boat. I fish Seneca all winter from a small boat.  I know for me personally that having a life jacket on is MORE dangerous. With the possible exception of actually sitting in the drivers seat steering.  It restricts my movements (especially with a lot of clothing on) and makes me more prone to accidentally slipping and not being able to grab something to catch myself.  Not to mention making it harder to pull myself back into the boat if I did fall out.   If the boat started leaking I would have plenty of time to grab a life jacket.  If it is was rough enough to capsize the boat then I would put a life jacket on.  Or better yet not be out in that situation to begin with. I know there are new inflatable life jackets out there that would be less restrictive but I don't need to spend hundreds of dollars (especially if I am taking other people out) just because someone wants to tell me what is safe for me.

The incident last week is certainly tragic.  Trying to canoe across Seneca Lake this time of year with or without a life jacket on is quite foolish. And it seems they were planning on doing it partially in the dark.  I recently helped rescue two guys who tipped a canoe on Seneca.  49 degree water. Was calm when they went out and the wind waves picked quick like they often do on Seneca.  They were renters from out of state who didn't realize how the lake can be.  They were wearing life jackets which certainly helped in this situation.  So I am certainly not anti life jacket.  I would wear one too if I were to try canoeing in cold water conditions.  I just don't need to be told when I need to wear one.

Edited by shaneo19

I am sure it's harder to fall off a 21 footers.(The water is warmer off a large boat LOL.)  I run a 23 foot and in winter and spring I wear my auto inflatable jacket you don't even know you have it on. You can buy them for under 100 bucks. I was born and brought up on Seneca and I was brought up to respect the water.

I am not telling you to wear it the state of NY is.

• Like 2

My perception was that Dennis was just reminding folks and not telling them or ordering them to do anything. Frequently folks forget the requirement (myself included when I go on other folks boats) so it was well intended.:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Not sure how many of you have jumped in to cold water and tried to swim with a life jacket on, but I have and it takes some practice just to breathe let alone swim.  I did a 2 week cold weather paddling trip in the boundary Waters of Minnesota.  Beforehand I thought I'd better practice saving myself in the Susquehanna river in October, which isn't even below 50 then.  Figured if I did a controlled experiment id be prepared if it really happened.  Let's just say if I hadn't had a pfd on I would have drowned before I calmed down enough to swim to shore.  Actually, I would have drowned before I figured out which direction to swim!  Apparently, everything I had read and understood about the natural reaction to fight against the current was true.  The instant I hit the water I was full on panic.  You definitely can settle down and swim, but only if you didn't drown gasping initially.  If it's climbing in your boat with a life jacket on that scares you you have your priorities all wrong.  It's the shock of cold water that limits your ability to even think rationally let alone swim and catch your breath you should fear!  

It's absolutely irresponsible to say anything arguing the cons of wearing a pfd.  Pfds don't cause slipping...an unsafe boat floor without proper footwear causes slipping.  If life jackets are too expensive you need a different hobby.  If you are taking people out you definitely shouldn't be advocating against pfds! 

End of the day I wish our society allowed a little more Darwinism, but it's always a kid or a buddy that pays the price not the irresponsible captain of the vessel.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, gasman2438 said:

I am sure it's harder to fall off a 21 footers.(The water is warmer off a large boat LOL.)  I run a 23 foot and in winter and spring I wear my auto inflatable jacket you don't even know you have it on. You can buy them for under 100 bucks. I was born and brought up on Seneca and I was brought up to respect the water.

I am not telling you to wear it the state of NY is.

Auto inflating belt way to go, as often as not I will forget it is there until I sit in the truck

• Like 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:55 PM, justtracytrolling said:

It's absolutely irresponsible to say anything arguing the cons of wearing a pfd.  Pfds don't cause slipping...an unsafe boat floor without proper footwear causes slipping.  If life jackets are too expensive you need a different hobby.  If you are taking people out you definitely shouldn't be advocating against pfds! 

End of the day I wish our society allowed a little more Darwinism, but it's always a kid or a buddy that pays the price not the irresponsible captain of the vessel.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, shaneo19 said:

So I am certainly not anti life jacket.  I would wear one too if I were to try canoeing in cold water conditions.  I just don't need to be told when I need to wear one.

My message clearly did not try to talk people out of wearing PFDs.  I was stating my opinion that people should be allowed to determine what is safe or not for themselves.  The beginning of your last sentence seems to agree with that.  There are conditions when wearing a PFD is appropriate and conditions when it is unnecessary.  The conditions are not necessarily being in a boat under 21 ft between Nov 1st and April 30th.  I am in a better position then you or NYS to determine if/when wearing a life jacket makes ME more clumsy on boat.  

That is great you tested yourself in cold water.  It is a good experience I would recommend to anyone who doesn't have health conditions that would make it too dangerous.  I intentionally swim in Seneca lake most of the year.  Cold water exposure actually has extreme health benefits.  Obviously in a controlled environment.  Not from a boating incident.