splicing 400 ft copper and braid rig

Has anyone done this? I want to start incorporating copper into my mix but don't want to have 5 different rods set up with different amounts of copper on it. Can you say, splice 5-10ft length of braid every 100ft of copper for a total of 400ft of copper? This way you can send out 100, 200, 300, or 400 foot of copper depending how deep you want it to go, and then put the braid into a planer board to get it out of the inner spread. Having never fished with copper I have no idea if this will work.

you could do that, but you will have quite the sage in the line from the rod tip to planer board release depending how far you send the board out.  Also, throw in if you are using inline boards as opposed to big boards.  Its a lot of knots and a hassle.  I was faced with the same dilemma as you and this is what I have done.

I have two setups (I use weighted steel instead of copper - same principle) A 200 and a 300 set up.  I put 150 yards of 40lb braid backing then i put 150 metres (165 yds - the full spool) of 40lb Diawa metered J braid (colour changes every 10M or 33 feet.  Then add the 200 and 300 copper/weighted steel.  Those two set ups for arguments sake get down 40 and 60 feet.  if I want them deeper I just use Torpedo weights - I have both the 2 oz and 4 oz versions.  They come with a depth chart.  I have tested the depths with a fish hawk td and they are pretty accurate.

so lets say I need two lines out 70 and 80 feet.  I take my 200 steel - let it all out - clip on a 4oz torpedo weight once i get to the braid.  Then I let out roughly 75 feet of the metered braid.  That gets me in the ball park of 70 feet - depending on spoon/flasher/fly speed etc.  I adjust based on all that.   for the 80 feet - do the same thing for the 300 steel - attached weight and then let out 35 feet and make the same adjustments based on lure, speed etc.  When done - attached to the board and you are all set.   The weights attached to the braid with an or16 clip so you just unclip when winding in.

I compliment these with 3,5,and 10 colour lead cores.

Edited by Puck5760

14 minutes ago, Puck5760 said:

you could do that, but you will have quite the sage in the line from the rod tip to planer board release depending how far you send the board out.

Didn't even think of that.

I just won another Cuda torpedo weight today in a raffle. Now I have two of them. I'll probably just incorporate those like you said, at least when I want to go deeper. Thanks for the explanation.