Tying a knot to lures instead of using a snap swivel

When i fish with rapalas i have always tied on direct to lure. The main reason for this is if you use an improved clinch knot you are able to adjust the knot slightly up and down to change the wobble depending on speed. You do not need much of an adjustment but by slightly angling the knot down you will get more wobble and flash of the rapala. Depending on your speed you can adjust to have better performance. Next time you are out try along side of boat, Place the knot straight and watch the action then slightly slide the knot downward and look at it again. The important part of this is making sure you have a good knot tied and it is tight so when you adjust it will stay in place. You will see much more flash of the rapala than a simple back to back motion. 

I always tied to floating rapalas when I was a kid like that too. Slide the knot all the way to the bottom and you have what they call a wake bait today. Wide wobble right on the surface. Pull the knot to the top and you get a tight wobble and deeper run. Was a great trick for stream fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I always tied to floating rapalas when I was a kid like that too. Slide the knot all the way to the bottom and you have what they call a wake bait today. Wide wobble right on the surface. Pull the knot to the top and you get a tight wobble and deeper run. Was a great trick for stream fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I guess everyone has their own system and if it works for you that's what matters. 

I always  use a cross lock style ball bearing swivel on spoons.

For spring stickbaits I prefer to use a uni knot with a loop to attach to the eye. I can tie a uni faster than I can do a snap swivel and I can do it without looking.  The trick I use is go through the eye, tie the uni, pull it almost tight but leave a loop, and then cinch down on the tag end when the loop is the size you want - I like about a 1/4 to 3/8 inches. 

Using the loop will have big effect on the action of the bait. You can test it yourself - tie a uni with a loop, test the action over the side and then pull the loop tight to where it resembles a clinch knot and recheck. It's amazing how much action you lose with a tight knot. It also gives you a bit of speed tuning. I like to troll faster than most and some baits like broken back Rapalas or Long A's get a little wacky on a loop knot at higher speeds  say 3+ mph, and if I lock the knot down I can tame them and run them alongside Yozuris or Offshore Bites. 

So again, do what works for you - but IMVHO how you attach is just another of those myriad variables and tricks you can use to adjust to the conditions of the day.  

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Smth
Grammar and corrected 3/6 to 3/8

I guess everyone has they're own system and if it works for you that's what matters. 

I always  use a cross lock style ball bearing swivel on spoons.

For spring stickbaits I prefer to use a uni knot with a loop to attach to the eye. I can tie a uni faster than I can do a snap swivel and I can do it without looking.  The trick I use is go through the eye, tie the uni, pull it almost tight but leave a loop, and then cinch down on the tag end when the loop is the size you want - I like about a 1/4 to 3/6 inches. 

Using the loop will have big effect on the action of the bait. You can test it yourself - tie a uni with a loop, test the action over the side and then bull the loop tight to where it resembles a linch knot and recheck. It's amazing how much action you lose with a tight knot. It also gives you a bit of speed tuning. I like troll faster than most and some baits like broken back Rapalas or Long A's get a little wacky on a loop knot at higher speeds  say 3+ mph, and if I lock the knot down I can tame them and run them alongside Yozuris or Offshore Bites. 

So again, do what works for you - but IMVHO how you attach is just another of those myriad variables and tricks you can use to adjust to the conditions of the day.  

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I will try that out as well

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app