Seneca Seneca Lake - Lake Trout Derby

56th Annual National Lake Trout Derby - May 23rd, 24th, 25th 2020 

REGISTRATION: Get registered for the 2020 National Lake Trout Derby! We understand with the recent epidemic, the physical businesses that you may have previously registered for the derby may be temporarily closed. We advise you to visit www.laketroutderby.org and register online. 

To register online go to www.laketroutderby.org and click the tab labeled "Register Online" and fill out the respective form. Filled in registration cards are emailed out within a few days of filling out the online form.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call the Derby Team at (315) 789 5520. Questions can also be emailed to [email protected].

Winners of derby.jpg

• 1 month later...

I heard they are still going to try having it.  Not sure how reliable my source is though.   I hope they do.  As long as they will get a good turnout.  If the numbers of people who have been out fishing lately is any indication then they should be able to.  

Bob Stivers the Derby President indicated in another post on here that it is still going to be held as of a few days ago.

Hey Stan I don't want to worry ya but my son is #1 and I'm #2. If that is any omen....you may want to save your money:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

:lol: Messin with me isn't going to protect you guys from defeat even if it is #13 I put the moloch on you guys and it didn't cost me a penny the devil said you guys deserve it for being so mean:devil: (first smack talk of the season ....another good sign coming my way:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Forgot to mention that I saw on the news tonight that there is a 5 mph speed limit within 500 ft of shoreline on both Seneca and Cayuga Lakes and a lot of debris in the water as well on both lakes.

I'm working on it Stan. You make a good point on the numbers too:smile: I look forward to seeing that Arima out there

The 55th Annual National Lake Trout Derby is STILL ON. With approval from the health department we are moving forward with this years derby.

Some necessary alterations to this years derby are as follows
  1. The only location that will be open for weigh station will be Stivers Seneca Marine in Waterloo NY.
  2. Prize money will be prorated with the number of registrants for the 2020 derby. Mail-in registration cut off extended to May 15th. Online registrations accepted until May 22nd at 5:00pm. Stivers Marine accepting walk in registrations until May 22nd 11:59pm.
  3. The award ceremony held on Monday at the completion of the derby is CANCELED and prizes will be mailed.
  4. We are not having the blind drawing at the weigh station. We encourage you to limit your trips to the weigh station by checking the online live standings regularly during the derby. Do not bring in a fish that you do not believe will place. We will only be paying out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes.
  5. Fish with those family and friends that you have been staying home with. Do not congregate.
  6. The $4,000 cash prize raffle will be postponed until 2021. All tickets sold will be put in the 2021 drawing.

Weigh in station protocol:
- When you arrive to Stivers Marine, whether by boat or car, please blow your horn or call the marine (315) 789 5520 to let us know of your arrival. Only one boat/car at a time at the weigh tent.
-Remain 6ft apart while at the weigh station.
-Return to boat/car immediately after fish are entered.

We appreciate everyone's understanding of the changes to this years derby. Good luck, and stay safe.

Sincerely,
The Derby Team 

Hi all I would like to make a few points about the national lake trout derby. First many of you don't know it's run by finger lakes sportsorama witch is a non-profit organization that donates all profit from the derby back to nonprofit organizations around the lake. No one is putting money in their pockets. Only you the winners.
As for only one weigh station in Geneva back from the start to the late 80s there was only one with over 2000 entrants.
As for the 40 or 50 dollar entry. if my family of 4 go out for supper at a good steak restaurant we spend around 150.00 for about 1 or 2 hours of entertainment and a full belly. So I don't think 200.oo for 3 days of fishing is too bad plus you might win something.
My father fished this derby from the start with me and the dog stuffed into the nose of A 16 ft. boat until he passed. I missed a few years with raisin 2 boys that love to fish.
Please enter the derby and fish safely.
Thank you Dennis Layton
Former President of the national lake trout derby.

1623617_655395694528156_2820598043478375974_n.jpg

dyj.png

• Like 2

For someone like myself considering this derby, perhaps you gentlemen could answer some questions. First, not wanting to kill a fish that won’t place, what are the typical winning weights?  Where are the launches? Thanks. 

Gill-T - The weights have varied over the years from about 10 lb something to about 18 lbs (Brown). A rainbow or Landlock has never actually won the derby (yet).The lakers and browns have been the top money winners. There are launches in Geneva at the Chamber of Commerce (Visitors Center) (Lake Street and Rt#5 and 20, Seneca Lake State Park also right below Geneva on Rt. 5 1nd 20 (north end of L Seneca Lake). There is also a ramp at Barrett Marine and the canal on the Old Waterloo Road (not sure if open or charge), Sampson State Park (all new marine and launch), Rt. 96A on east side of lake, Lodi State Park off 96A south towards Watkins Glen, Clute Park in Watkins Glen at south end of lake, Severne Launch between Watkins and Long Point (west side heading north), and Roy's Marina just south of Geneva on Rt.#14. Stivers Marina is at the north end of the lake near the mouth of the Seneca River just as it meets the north end of the lake. Hope this helps.

Edited by Sk8man

I have fished nearly all of these derbies with the exception of 3 years I spent overseas in the military in the sixties and all three of my kids have fished in them with my son still fishing it with me. We often camped at Sampson State Park as well during many of them. I look forward to it every year and prepare for it during the off days from ice fishing all winter. Although never actually winning it we have placed in the money many times and my dad was actually leading it one year while being treated for cancer and he died that Fall and I have never seen him so excited as when he caught that fish which ended up second in the Seniors division. What I'm getting at is that this event is a family and friends event which is a whole lot of fun whether you win it or not. It can be a tough lake to fish for folks unfamiliar with it, but out of staters have won it too over the years. To anyone who has not fished it but is thinking about it I'd say "go for it" especially considering the recent situation affecting all of us but do so with proper caution and have a great but safe time.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 4

If you want to reserve a dock at Sampson the number is 585 698 3272.. Guys name is Tim.

I am so glad they figured out a way to put this derby on. Thanks to all the organizers.Im sure there is more work behind the scenes than people realize. 

. Now days most use their cell phones and the radio is silent.  Channel 68 is generally the preferred channel.

Fish size reports now and then are useful.

Three twirls to the left then a curtsy cancels a Maloch.:wink:

• Like 1