Seneca Seneca Lake - Lake Trout Derby

Woo hoo!  I'm looking forward to the Derby!  My first one since I sold No Clue in 2011. I will be fishing out of Sampson, so the weigh station at Stiver's won't be too inconvenient, in the unlikely event that I snag a big 'un.  But it seems kind of ridiculous for people fishing the south end of the lake to have to drive nearly 40 miles to weigh a fish.  While I understand that only potential money fish are encouraged to be weighed, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have a weigh station at the Glen and maybe one or two in between the south and north ends?  Maybe Sampson Marina and on the east and Roy's on the west?  I think this would also help with the "social distancing" and reduce a lot of congestion.  Not knowing how the cookie will crumble, I'd be inclined to bring in anything over 7 pounds.  Anyone with me on this?

Joe

There normally have been weigh stations at Watkins and Sampson in the past but the virus and other factors have limited that now.

Edited by Sk8man

Very happy and appreciative that they are going forward with the derby.  Wish we didn't have to deal with the restrictive  parts of it but the derby is the derby.  Last year is was Sampson being closed and this year the virus.  Plus the poor fishing the last several years.  I just hope that the tradition will always continue.  Really encourage everyone to fish and support it if possible.  The numbers of fish aren't what they use to be but there are still good fish to catch.  I don't care if there was only 1 trout left in the lake,  I would be out there fishing just as hard.  I am 34 now and I think this will be my 24th derby in a row.  Have had a second and third in the lake trout division plus several other places.  Never first though.  That must happen at some point in my life.  I have a champagne bottle that won't be open until that happens.

Edited by shaneo19
  • Like 1

The bottom line for the weigh stations is the village of Watkins Glen won't allow it this year and NYS won't allow it at Sampson due to covid 19 unforseen future . It's not a bad drive to Geneva

YOU CAN CALL AHEAD OR CHECK THE STANDINGS ON LINE

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah man!  Back on the water.  I bought an old Carver 28 footer last summer.  Not exactly a hard-core fishing boat but I can live on it for a few days.  No Clue was just sold again for the fourth time since I sold her in 2011.  Seneca certainly isn't the lake I left back then.  Fished 18 hours in the Derby and managed one fish.  Sad!

I hope you're well.  Let's see a good report!