Copper rig ??

I have read the stickies on this subject which are great and many other posts but have a question still.

I bought a few used Daiwa Saltist 50s last year already spooled up with 300 copper and they have mono backing. Had a few fish run taking me farther down the spool then I am comfortable and cranked up the drag to stop them.

I want to change the mono backing out to 50# power pro braid to get about 450’ of backing. My question is when running a mast and large boards like otter etc... what clips should I use to attach to the braid? I have also read guys splice mono between the copper and braid, is this the preferred method for my set up.

I have the large red offshore releases already and used them with no issues on the copper with mono but not sure if the will hold the braid.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, tj13825 said:

I have read the stickies on this subject which are great and many other posts but have a question still.

I bought a few used Daiwa Saltist 50s last year already spooled up with 300 copper and they have mono backing. Had a few fish run taking me farther down the spool then I am comfortable and cranked up the drag to stop them.

I want to change the mono backing out to 50# power pro braid to get about 450’ of backing. My question is when running a mast and large boards like otter etc... what clips should I use to attach to the braid? I have also read guys splice mono between the copper and braid, is this the preferred method for my set up.

I have the large red offshore releases already and used them with no issues on the copper with mono but not sure if the will hold the braid.

Terry

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No need for a section of mono. Use Scotty Planer Board releases and clip directly to the braid backer. No issue.

https://www.fishusa.com/Scotty-Power-Grip-Plus-Planer-Board-Release-Clips

Les,

You are absolutely right!! I saw a response on this page somewhere that they can fit 150yds of 50lb braid behind 300 copper on their 50 Saltists and didn't question it. I just knew the mono backer I have is not enough.

I have a great excel chart that lets me play with reel capacity and line size.

Here is what I found today when I played with the excel chart

Based on the the reel capacity of 30lb mono 350yds thickness of 0.022"

Here is what will fit on the Daiwa Saltist 50s that I have

300' of blood run copper at 0.033" diameter

35' of 30lb leader at 0.022"

For backing it says I can get 750' of 50lb power pro at 0.014" and the reel will be at 96.6% full

and at 825' of 50 lb power pro it will then be 99.5% full

You also need to account for any mono backer you use to start the wraps on the reel as I don't tape my reels up or tie braid straight to the spool. With that said 700' of braid should fit nicely.

I usually shoot for ~98% full on my reels

That is a lot better, I have found the chart to be very accurate when filling my lead core rods and needing to know backing lengths.

Les thanks for the kick in the pants to do my homework and not just rely on something I saw. People make typos or use lines of different diameters, say feet when they mean yards, or sometimes I just misread things!

I continue to say this is the best site ever where guys are always helping each other.

Tight lines

Terry

Edited by tj13825

You're very welcome Terry good luck with it:smile:  P.S. You can save a tiny bit also by using a 20 lb test fluoro as your leader (smaller diameter) if just running a spoon or stick behind it. ( I also run 32 lb copper instead of 45 lb on some of my rigs) There is a difference in sinking depth but not as much as you may think at normal speed range.

Edited by Sk8man