Is it me or is it everytime we have an East wind I catch nothing.  A couple times last summer in late July we had an East wind for three to four days.  The fish seemed to shut off.  I was at Webster park casting the other day and someone told me they did very well one day and the wind came in from the East and the next day it was really slow.  Have other people found this? And if so does it happen at this time of year when the fish are stacked up inside?

If given a choice of days on a weekend to fish, I pick the day that is not an East wind. Over the years I have a couple spots on the lake I go to during an East wind. The fish move due to changes in water temperature and oxygen levels when stuff comes rolling up from the bottom when the lake currents reverse with an East wind. Some go to bottom, some go offshore, some go high. I have found in spring I fish high with an East wind. 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Thanks 1

We had 1 day a couple years ago between I bay and Webster with a stiff East wind and we absolutely crushed them. 30+ fish day. Could only troll west the waves were so bad we could only troll west. So we kept picking up gear and running back East to keep our west troll going.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

We fished Fair Haven today, the old east wind saying proved to be true. In 3 hours we boated 2 and lost 1. The water was very dirty in close so we had to fish deeper than I like to this time of year. Water temp was 36, fish came on pink Thunderstick jr and NBK.

12 hours ago, thejigger said:

We fished Fair Haven today, the old east wind saying proved to be true. In 3 hours we boated 2 and lost 1. The water was very dirty in close so we had to fish deeper than I like to this time of year. Water temp was 36, fish came on pink Thunderstick jr and NBK.

Did you ever find water warmer than 36? That would have helped. We did well two days ago but when the water temp was less than 39.5 we didn’t have a hit.