Looking for advice on Brown Trout lures

Absolutely, start with ur closest port then as u gain confidence, branch out an enjoy other places.

My two little ones started with brown trout fishing on the big lake too, good times n lots of fun for the kids.

Shark Hunter, is Mexico point a good place to start?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
IMG_20171024_115348.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fishing  shallow near shore water in the spring as that is where your warmer water temperature indicates. Snags partricularly  when stopping or turning and the inside of the turn lines slow down cause more snags. That is why floating stick baits or plugs work better. Use side planers mainly since your boat  travelling by spooks the fish away and they will concentrate them in the track of your side planers. Your down riggers make good rod holders then and also early in the season when the walleye are suspended near the warmer surface water.

Edited by jimski2

Agreed about sticks over spoons in shallow water as they sink on turns and if the board stalls . 

if you are in water 12 ft or less , often times the best depth , you have to know the dive rate of the sticks you are running 

I like 3 1/2" or 4 1/2" jointed rebels , my favorites  in shallow water . Tuned to run shallow . 

F 9 and F 11 Rapalas 

J 9 and J 11 rapala in water deeper than 10 ft as they dice deeper 

I like Smithwicks also .  Also Long A bombers . 

Edited by HB2

I went out with my driftboat this past Monday. I didn’t have any riggers and I. Caught 6 nice browns and lost another. I ran 2 leadcore a of the the back corners. I ran 2 offshore mini planets on the sides and a flatline down the chute. I had evil eye spoons on the leadcores back one color. The chute rod was back 130 ft and the planet rods were back 60 ft and then let out to the side. Simple stuff. Find the green water and you’ll catch fish. If it’s clear it will be tougher. IMG_4858.JPGIMG_4862.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My son and I brought our boat over from Vermont last spring for the first time.  We launched at Mexico Point and did well when the weather was cooperative (wind blowing warm water in to shore, but not TOO windy!).  We caught most of our fish on Bay Rats off the boards and Stingers on 1-2 colors of leadcore off each side of the boat.  Most of our fish were caught on green, but some natural colors worked as well.  I think our hottest lure was a Short Shallow Bay Rat in "Can't afford it".  There was also a Stinger that I picked up that was a very similar color pattern to the "Can't afford it" stick that did well.

Since you have Otter boats, you can easily run 3 lines off each side and not worry about the riggers yet.  Later in the season, if you are fishing more than 20' of water or so, the riggers will come in handy for getting closer to bottom.  Right now, as others have said, you're going to be fishing right up on shore in 10-15' of water or so.  The riggers will only cause you grief.

Good luck, be safe and HAVE FUN!