Brownies in Webster

I was passing by Webster Park a little while ago and noticed quite a few cars and 4 trucks with tanks on th back in the pier parking lot. The trucks were from the Caledonia Hatchery. I spun around an parked a talked to one of the truck drivers. Driver said they were stocking about 25,000 browns. I didn't think to ask the size but from the tails I saw they looked about 6" maybe. Hopefully they won't get canabalized too bad.

On 3/19/2020 at 4:15 PM, jlogger said:

I was passing by Webster Park a little while ago and noticed quite a few cars and 4 trucks with tanks on th back in the pier parking lot. The trucks were from the Caledonia Hatchery. I spun around an parked a talked to one of the truck drivers. Driver said they were stocking about 25,000 browns. I didn't think to ask the size but from the tails I saw they looked about 6" maybe. Hopefully they won't get canabalized too bad.

Very surprised to hear browns being stocked so early. Mid April to May 1st have been the dates in years past for Monroe Co. brown stocking. The Genesee Charter Caps usually get a call for assistance from DEC and several members show up to help. No calls this year that I've heard

Very surprised to hear browns being stocked so early. Mid April to May 1st have been the dates in years past for Monroe Co. brown stocking. The Genesee Charter Caps usually get a call for assistance from DEC and several members show up to help. No calls this year that I've heard

The browns are coming from the Rome Hatchery. Our browns usually don’t come from there but due to the zebra mussel issue in the Hatchery, they did not want expose Adirondack waters to zebra mussels. They are being stocked in waters already infested with mussels.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

The browns are coming from the Rome Hatchery. Our browns usually don’t come from there but due to the zebra mussel issue in the Hatchery, they did not want expose Adirondack waters to zebra mussels. They are being stocked in waters already infested with mussels.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Brian that explains it

Rome Hatchery

"As for the future of the hatchery after 2021, DEC said it “must be decontaminated, redesigned and reconstructed to achieve the maximum production possible using only spring water.”

guys,  don't take offense to them not notifying or asking for volunteers. they are trying to limit their public interaction in light of the current state of affairs ( as we all should be ) 

the stocking schedules are likely not going to be followed this year as they are trying to get rid of fish before something happens and they have no way to care for them in the hatcheries or to get them stocked at some point down the road. The fish while in the hatchery need care at least twice a day., 1 person is not going to load up all the trucks and drive them all to the stocking locations..

it sucks but unfortunately its reality this year., better that the fish get dumped early than have them all die at the hatchery.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, reeltime said:

no idea what the costs are, its simply that  if employees  get quarantined they will not have the manpower to take care of them and or get them to the streams.

x2 

• 2 weeks later...