Onboard Charger Issues

Burger

Hey all,

Bought a brand new Lund 1775 adventure from a reputable local dealer last week. Came with a 24 volt, 70# thrust Minnkota Powerdrive and a 2 bank onboard charger (also minnkota).

After getting back from the water today, I plugged it in to an outlet to charge, but noticed that battery 1 had a red light indicating “check connection”

Battery 2 was working properly and showing a yellow light

relevant info:

My marina couldn’t get my boat into my slip until today, so it sat out in the lot and TM was hence not able to be charged. I did took it out week prior for a day and used the TM for probably 4 hours - So I don’t know how that could’ve drained one of the batteries, but I guess it could’ve?

I left the charger plugged in despite the one red light, is this problematic?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can think of 3 possible things.

Bad battery
Wires not connected ( short,fuse)
Charger bank not working.

Check the Minnkota website , I believe there is a trouble shoot guide on the chargers.

I bought a precision onboard charger few years ago , brand new, I used it about twice and all the lights blinked red. Set it back charger was bad.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If the battery voltage drops down too low then the charger does not recognize that there is a battery hooked up, and will not try to charge it. This happens on my boat a lot, but my charger is much older. I don't know if the newer Minn Kota's do the same thing. When this happens to me I would have to charge the battery first with my portable charger to get the voltage back up, and then let the on board charger take over. 

I can think of 3 possible things.

Bad battery
Wires not connected ( short,fuse)
Charger bank not working.

Check the Minnkota website , I believe there is a trouble shoot guide on the chargers.

I bought a precision onboard charger few years ago , brand new, I used it about twice and all the lights blinked red. Set it back charger was bad.

Good luck

Ok, great. Thanks

If the battery voltage drops down too low then the charger does not recognize that there is a battery hooked up, and will not try to charge it. This happens on my boat a lot, but my charger is much older. I don't know if the newer Minn Kota's do the same thing. When this happens to me I would have to charge the battery first with my portable charger to get the voltage back up, and then let the on board charger take over. 

Interesting, maybe i’ll give that a try. thank you

The new Minn kota chargers need to read voltage to turn on,  it could definitely be a connection issue as well, but I doubt it's the battery.  Most likely it's the charger.  I've had all of those things happen to me and currently my 3 bank charger is only charging on 2 banks and I have to replace it.  The Minn kota precision charger isn't a long lasting quality charger...Ive had 2 fail so far.  

• Like 1

The new Minn kota chargers need to read voltage to turn on,  it could definitely be a connection issue as well, but I doubt it's the battery.  Most likely it's the charger.  I've had all of those things happen to me and currently my 3 bank charger is only charging on 2 banks and I have to replace it.  The Minn kota precision charger isn't a long lasting quality charger...Ive had 2 fail so far.  
I think the precision chargers are a lot of money to suck.
Although I would use mine a fraction of what you do.
Time will tell

I have a 230 that keeps the engine and electronics batteries topped off and a 345 up front for the 3 trolling motor batteries.  The first 230 lasted a month the second has made it a full season and I used the 345 very hard for almost 3 full seasons.  I agree they are way too expensive for how long they last, but I use a lot of power and need a very fast charger so I guess I don't have a choice.

ok thanks. and that sucks

Happens to me all the time as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United