Tournament Organizers- Please Consider

With the state of the economy in shambles, fishing tackle vendors and tackle shops are going to be particularly vulnerable to bankruptcy due to razor thin profit margins in the tackle industry.  We need these businesses as they tend to cater to our equipment needs specific to the body of water we fish.  Tackle shows are being canceled.  I would ask all tournament committees to consider allowing tackle stores and local vendors to have a presence at weigh-in locations for tournaments to sell their wares.  Not only will this help support our local businesses but it will bring people to weigh-ins to help promotion of an event.  Many teams realizing they are going to finish out of the money in an event, often bypass the scales and leave early.  Give these teams some incentive to stick around and shop.  Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 3

While I like the idea and always try to support small business as an business owner myself I am not sure it will be possible in the short term. 

Hopefully I am wrong here.

Its a great idea once things return to some state of normal.

With the "Pause" State Executive order going into effect tonight that 100% of non-essential business are to close how can tackle shops & vendors do business?

Also I do not believe that Marinas & Boat shops fall under the "essential businesses" listed on the NYS site.

If these business are shuttered how are boat owners who have stored at boat yards to get their boats out & ready?

The order also states  "temporarily bans all non essential gatherings of any size for any reason"

The reality is this could go on for a while. Again I hope I am wrong!

Hopefully we are on the downside of this pandemic sooner than later and there will still be time to hold tournaments & events.

For anybody who has been laid off, had to close their business or been adversley effected by this my thoughts are with you. 

For anybody not effected directly please think of others who have or could be and take the necessary precautions to stop the spread.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-signs-new-york-state-pause-executive-order

Edited by Rookie Fisherman

4 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I saw the emperor's press conferences.  He is all for people getting outside in uncrowded venues.  

Fridays press conference & the Executive order that takes effect tonight looks like it states otherwise.

GilI I don't like it anymore than the next guy. Please understand I'm not trying to be the negative guy or argumentative by any means but unfortunately this is going to be the norm for a while.

When he says get outside he's is talking about exercise, walks etc. (I would also think a couple people fishing in boat should be ok)

#2 of the 10 point Pause order.

"Non-essential gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason (e.g. parties, celebrations or other social events) are canceled or postponed at this time"

I guess how one interprets that or wants to interpret that can vary.

#3 & 4 also talk about public concentrations & social distancing 

It truly sucks but I think a weigh in with a concentration of people (possibly under a tent) with vendor tables at this point would be irresponsible. When this subsides I think vendor tables at tournaments would be nice to see in good times and bad!

Gill I applaude you for thinking about the small vendors & tackle shops it is a great gesture.

Maybe the events organizers can come upon with a different system for weigh ins and still be safe.....

Hopefully this passes sooner than later.

Edited by Rookie Fisherman

II like Gill-T's thinking and agree with it.

I'm pretty sure Gill-T is talking about when things loosen up.  Short term there aren't any tournaments anyway and we are over a month away from the LOC spring derby.  

As to the virus, short term we have a lock down to avoid swamping the medical services I don't like it but hard to argue.  Long term its going to walk among us and we are going to have to get back to life with that in mind.  How that works out we will see.  

13 minutes ago, Fat Trout said:

II like Gill-T's thinking and agree with it.  

I do too. Thinking of the small business guys is important!

Hopefully we are on the downside of this pandemic sooner than later and there will still be time to hold tournaments & events.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Frogger said:

One person to weigh, one person to update board, and the organizer. Everyone else stand behind the red line. Had to do it at Wegmans. Hopefully we’ll be in a better place soon. Keep the ideas coming Doc!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah, I think we are all just going to end up operating in a new reality for a while until its gone which really means some level of vaccine (I guess).  Until then we just have to avoid swamping the medical so once the short term actions do what they do we will inevitably go into a secondary stage of life (IMO) with some combination of limitations.  I'm hoping that next step is workable and even makes for good jokes and good "i'm going fishing....because its safe-er" excuses.  I'm pretty anti-social so this is right in my wheelhouse (haha).  I never did name my boat but I joked with my wife that "social distancing" would be a good one as fits my personality.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Wonder how the LOC derbies will be impacted?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Until the governor lifts the current restriction (or eases it) you have to think its an unknown because of how many people travel to join in.  Plus in the defense of organizers, its hard to project a cash payout when there is zero reliability on attendance.  I'd love to skirt the rules, but for a while (and it kills me to say this) I'm keeping my boat where it is. I'm in NJ so I have bigger distance to consider. I was all in for dragging it up later this week for the season.   If I was local....different calculation.   

Apparently a lot of people either can't read or do not have TV's because yesterday I took a ride to check out the Canandaigua launch and then drove to the pier. There was a hot dog concession with people standing close talking with each other and many small groups of people chatting and walking around as though it was the typical summer scenario....unreal!

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmyi said:

The canal is directly 1/8 mile behind my house through a woods.  Looks like I'm going to be fishing out of the canal a lot this summer.

Back in my former life I used to operate the Main Street lift bridge in Brockport and there were a lot of good bass spots between there and the Hulberton bridge:smile:

19 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Back in my former life I used to operate the Main Street lift bridge in Brockport and there were a lot of good bass spots between there and the Hulberton bridge:smile:

I don't fish it enough.  Only once in a great while and it is right in my back yard.  I'm either going to Sandy, the Oak, Braddock's or the finger lakes.  Unfortunately things are going to be different for me and the kid this year.  My 17 year old loves bass fishing so we are going to be hitting the canal a lot.  Is it safe to eat the fish out of there?  

I never ate any of the fish just did catch and release mainly because it was warm weather fishing for them as the canal shut down for maintenance during the Fall through Spring so don';t know on that one. :smile:

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Jim,

Call me and I can give you some canal pointers.  Its all I did for 10 years as a kid!

Ok phew!......that is what you meant by you used to play in dirty canals!  Now I get it.