Spring Turkey 2020

Just now, whaler1 said:

Did you see much this morning?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

at our best farm before 5, birds were all across the road,

left and went to the hills, walked over 4 miles never heard a bird

back at it in the AM

3 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Good luck in the am. Will you try to roost some tonight?

normally i would, we're trying a fresh spot in the morning it's 1hr  away, 

i heard birds in there 2 weeks ago on a scouting run, and i'm getting to old to run on a couple hours sleep

Took the farmers daughter out this weekend , Saturday morning we had a gobbler hang up at 80 yards and had him around from roost till 1130 but couldn't get him . This morning he was in the same spot but a 3 pack of Jake's were with him . The Jake's pushed him out and the gobbler went silent. The Jake's wouldn't budge. We clawed to the ridge top with the turkey fan in front of us and looked down in the woods. Out about 300 yards away I see them in the field strutting all by themselves. They have to see the fan if I can see them . I did a couple Jake yelps and they must have thought I was the gobbler . They came running into 15 yards. She was pumped up and so was I. I Made myself look like the man when I said to her they see this fan they are going to run right in . Lol now that longbeard wont be getting harassed. IMG_20200426_070340.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 5

My sons 1st Turkey
So I'm not much of a turkey Hunter but my son has taken a strong interest for it, so we have both been learning, scouting an practicing for this years season.
Opening am we set up on a roosted bird, that we were able to put to bed the night before, however he did not want to play in the am, so off to spot #2, we worked the area for a while an nothing, then moved a bit an got a response,
We were able to set up the dekes an he started to come in, one decoy fell over so I scramble back out set it back up an pray we didn't spoke him. He keeps gobbling an finally comes out, skirts past us, to circle arnd us an made the mistake of stopping at our decoy after he came arnd us an my boy dumped him at 20 paces. We got him at 10:30am
We're both hooked now an I'm very proud that he stuck it out an we worked together to get em. IMG_2491_01.jpegIMG_2486.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 10

Getting close for us grownups! Going to be a lot more people hunting this year.
Lots of birds around, at least where I live. Good luck all, looking forward to reading posts and seeing pics. Hoping to post a few myself. With four people in my house hunting this May the odds look pretty good.

• Like 1

Was running late this morning so I decided to run to a spot I saw a gobbler with a hen yesterday. Got set up after the awful walk through a plowed cornfield. Heard some gobbling on roost but they couldn't hear my calling I'm sure due to being roosted over a creek flowing like a river. Made some calls every so often with no response. Decided to get a little aggressive with the calling and throw out some heavy cutting. They hammered 50 yards away up field edge where I couldn't see em. Looked out in field and saw 3 hens coming on a string then looked over my right shoulder and had 3 deer coming at 15 yards and looking right at me. Thought I was screwed then 2 longbeards popped out on field edge to my right and ran at the avian Jake and began to kick the crap out of him. (Pour guys has had a bunch of a** kickings) was picking which one to shoot when another stepped out that was a bit nicer than the other 2. Then to my surprise the other 2 laid down in full strut next to Jake decoy while the bigger boy started pecking mud off his own toes. Waited til he stretched the neck out and let it rip. Scared the hell outta the deer that were 5 yards behind me at that point and the other 2 birds milled around in decoys for 20min (The one day I didn't bring a buddy to try for a double). Was a great morning though and makes me laugh at the guys who think they need to spend $10 per shell to run TSS through their 12gauge. When you can get em in to 10yards any ol load will do. Dead bird by 6:10! Awesome opener!

IMG_20200501_062123406.jpg

IMG_20200501_062041555.jpg

Edited by suttontroller94
  • Like 4

Was running late this morning so I decided to run to a spot I saw a gobbler with a hen yesterday. Got set up after the awful walk through a plowed cornfield. Heard some gobbling on roost but they couldn't hear my calling I'm sure due to being roosted over a creek flowing like a river. Made some calls every so often with no response. Decided to get a little aggressive with the calling and throw out some heavy cutting. They hammered 50 yards away up field edge where I couldn't see em. Looked out in field and saw 3 hens coming on a string then looked over my right shoulder and had 3 deer coming at 15 yards and looking right at me. Thought I was screwed then 2 longbeards popped out on field edge to my right and ran at the avian Jake and began to kick the crap out of him. (Pour guys has had a bunch of a** kickings) was picking which one to shoot when another stepped out that was a bit nicer than the other 2. Then to my surprise the other 2 laid down in full strut next to Jake decoy while the bigger boy started pecking mud off his own toes. Waited til he stretched the neck out and let it rip. Scared the hell outta the deer that were 5 yards behind me at that point and the other 2 birds milled around in decoys for 20min (The one day I didn't bring a buddy to try for a double). Was a great morning though and makes me laugh at the guys who think they need to spend $10 per shell to run TSS through their 12gauge. When you can get em in to 10yards any ol load will do. Dead bird by 6:10! Awesome opener!

IMG_20200501_062123406.thumb.jpg.8ca32ad761bb64b81debdcb9d5986e8c.jpg

IMG_20200501_062041555.thumb.jpg.2ba596805683036e685abf67166acaf3.jpg

Nice hunt and great bird. Slow for me this morning. One hen came by at 20 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Thanks 1

Great stuff all! My son Tommy put his sister on birds this morning, got her a bird and headed back out. Slow so far for me this morning. IMG_1228.JPG

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 11:19 PM, SharkHunter said:

My sons 1st Turkey
So I'm not much of a turkey Hunter but my son has taken a strong interest for it, so we have both been learning, scouting an practicing for this years season.
Opening am we set up on a roosted bird, that we were able to put to bed the night before, however he did not want to play in the am, so off to spot #2, we worked the area for a while an nothing, then moved a bit an got a response,
We were able to set up the dekes an he started to come in, one decoy fell over so I scramble back out set it back up an pray we didn't spoke him. He keeps gobbling an finally comes out, skirts past us, to circle arnd us an made the mistake of stopping at our decoy after he came arnd us an my boy dumped him at 20 paces. We got him at 10:30am
We're both hooked now an I'm very proud that he stuck it out an we worked together to get em. IMG_2491_01.jpegIMG_2486.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Congrats to the both of you!  It is a memory you both will never forget!