Spring Turkey 2020

I can actually remember turkey hunting on Mother’s Day weekend in the 90s on snow. I was in college.

I was out this morning and it was quiet but fun to have snow on the ground. The same area yesterday I had so many birds gobbling that by the time the last one gobbled the first one started again. They snuck by me just out of range though.

Their roosting areas are consistent around here but they seem to hit the same roost once every 3 or 4 days. The other days it is like the Dead Sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First off congrats to everyone that scored so far. This season has hands down been my toughest season to date for chasing Turkeys. I've yet to hear a bird let alone see one, and I have been grinding! Just dont get where these birds are??? And now I'm sitting In a snow storm! Crazy.
20200509_105119.jpeg

Keep the faith, Matt. I've been out the last five days in a row after not turkey hunting for thirty years. It's been up and down, but today rotted. That snow came just as we were leaving. I've seen a couple of birds and Tommy shot a nice tom yesterday, but nothing has come into my calling - unsurprising, since I likely sound like a wounded groundhog. But I get how this can be addicting. The birds will come. There are better days ahead. 

Toms buddy that got the second half of the double the other day punched his other tag today. Spot and stalk in the Adirondacks. Actually was tracking him in the snow. Said his wing tips while strutting looked cool in the fresh snow. IMG_1245.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 5

Damn! Those spurs (and the bird) are incredible.
Caribbean Jerk turkey on the grill tonight here!61075309095__35103B51-0FF5-43F0-9F9D-307FF1B48F94.JPG

• Like 3

That looks tasty!!
He was a beast, 50" from tail to beak! Kids already have their gear ready for the morning to take mom for mother's day!

Jakey,
This has been a grind. I've put more time in this year pre- scouting than ever before. Just keep on it, I believe after next week things will break loose!

Damn! Those spurs (and the bird) are incredible.
Caribbean Jerk turkey on the grill tonight here!61075309095__35103B51-0FF5-43F0-9F9D-307FF1B48F94.thumb.JPG.32cf9ae28b21511a67c787b220e3d43b.JPG

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That looks tasty!!
He was a beast, 50" from tail to beak! Kids already have their gear ready for the morning to take mom for mother's day!

Jakey,
This has been a grind. I've put more time in this year pre- scouting than ever before. Just keep on it, I believe after next week things will break loose!

Dude you’re doing it right. Fantastic

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:24 AM, steelie said:

Well, its been a grind so far... we have had birds close but the kids have been busted twice due to the wiggles!! But they've been learning and seeing a lot of cool stuff.. They keep asking to go and I'm going to take them every time they ask, regardless of being successful. This morning was a special hunt, I sat with my 6 year old son about 80 yards away form my wife and 10 year old daughter. Well, the girls won!! My son and i had a hen within 3 yards of us when my wife turned it loose on a 3 year old.. Off my son runs to get on moms bird!! Hahaha. we've been blessed to have some awesome hunts together but never all together.

20200508_060046.jpg

20200508_061800 (002).jpg

That’s priceless with the whole family.  
Congrats to all who have scored, loved catching up on current events an hope to read more, an add Hopefully.  

Tagged out this morning before work but it was a little bit bitter sweet. My son decided to sleep in and it was a classic hunt. Bird came in on a rope, i watched him come from 120 yards to 15 were it ended. All i kept saying to myself was "man, i wish my son was here"  Anyway, my wife has 1 tag left and i hope we can get her and my kids on 1 more great hunt! Keep grinding it out guys and good luck. 

bird.jpg

• Like 1

So I haven't hunted turkeys seriously in years.  I am from a non hunting family and am totally self-taught. I started hunting turkeys after college (got into deer hunting and had turkeys gobbling behind my house) and after some limited success in my early 20 twenties on a nice farm in VT  that I had access to and one jake in the champlain valley, I haven't killed a bird in almost 20 yrs.  So this year being furloughed (along with everyone else) decided to get back out in the turkey woods.  I haven't seen that many turkeys since I moved here about 10 yrs ago but certainly know that are some around.   I did some scouting and located some birds on some local private land (7S) I obtained access to hunt.  I've also scouted and hunted a little on state land.  I have had some encounters with a big tom and a nearby farm but he gobbles once or twice than spends the day with his group of hens so he is tough.  My closest encounter so far was roosting a gobbler (jake I think) on a morning hunt where I managed to get in a field above him, set out an old bad looking decoy on a stick (lost my stake) and called him in.  He eventually worked in just on edge of my shotgun range ( I cant seem to get a good pattern beyond 35-40yds) but I wasn't able to get a shot.  I would have been happy with a jake for sure and was bummed to get so close but what a fun hunt that probably hooked me on turkey hunting again for years to come.  I filmed the hunt and edited a video if anyone wants to watch.  Please excuse my amateur calling and any constructive criticism is appreciated (I probably called way too much but so hard when he was gobbling at everything!!).  I just started this channel on youtube and also put up my first archery buck from last season and some Seneca fishing stuff with more to come...  Thanks and good luck to everybody out there!

11 hours ago, BrookTrout said:

So I haven't hunted turkeys seriously in years.  I am from a non hunting family and am totally self-taught. I started hunting turkeys after college (got into deer hunting and had turkeys gobbling behind my house) and after some limited success in my early 20 twenties on a nice farm in VT  that I had access to and one jake in the champlain valley, I haven't killed a bird in almost 20 yrs.  So this year being furloughed (along with everyone else) decided to get back out in the turkey woods.  I haven't seen that many turkeys since I moved here about 10 yrs ago but certainly know that are some around.   I did some scouting and located some birds on some local private land (7S) I obtained access to hunt.  I've also scouted and hunted a little on state land.  I have had some encounters with a big tom and a nearby farm but he gobbles once or twice than spends the day with his group of hens so he is tough.  My closest encounter so far was roosting a gobbler (jake I think) on a morning hunt where I managed to get in a field above him, set out an old bad looking decoy on a stick (lost my stake) and called him in.  He eventually worked in just on edge of my shotgun range ( I cant seem to get a good pattern beyond 35-40yds) but I wasn't able to get a shot.  I would have been happy with a jake for sure and was bummed to get so close but what a fun hunt that probably hooked me on turkey hunting again for years to come.  I filmed the hunt and edited a video if anyone wants to watch.  Please excuse my amateur calling and any constructive criticism is appreciated (I probably called way too much but so hard when he was gobbling at everything!!).  I just started this channel on youtube and also put up my first archery buck from last season and some Seneca fishing stuff with more to come...  Thanks and good luck to everybody out there!

It's addicting. Good try though. I recommend getting yourself a decent Jake decoy. I like the avian quarter strut. Seems every single time I get a bird to see that with a decent looking hen decoy it's game over.