Spring Turkey 2020

Tommy loves it. So far he’s killed one and guided four people to birds this year. Keith pm me your cell number, I’ll send you a video. Kids a freak.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

He gets more satisfaction putting people on birds than shooting them himself. Besides you only get two and he hunts every day.

• Like 1

Our friend has some mobility issues, recent knee replacement.
Tommy set him a blind and drove him back on his quad. Pretty awesome.

• Like 1

After 16 days of hard hunting, usually till 12:00 most days, and with very little luck. I'd only had birds in range twice and wasnt able to shoot either time. I thought today was the day. I was on birds right off the roost, could even see them in the tree. Due to being in very open woods and able to see the birds on the limb wasn't able to get the decoy placed for fear of being seen. Watched 3 birds (at least one gobbler) fly down and made a few calls to let them know I was there. A few minutes after fly down I heard him gobbling coming my way. Soon after I saw him slowly coming my way. At about 30 yards I had a good view of his head and neck and thought I better try the shot rather than let an opportunity pass. Long story short (maybe short story long ;)) the shot didn't connect. I hate missing birds, it means that I did everything right except the final step. Oh well, spit happens, right? Maybe had I waited he would of come in for a closer shot. Super frustrating to hunt so hard for one chance and blow it, but quitters never win. Still have 13 days to get it done. Good luck all, thanks for reading!

• Like 1

After 16 days of hard hunting, usually till 12:00 most days, and with very little luck. I'd only had birds in range twice and wasnt able to shoot either time. I thought today was the day. I was on birds right off the roost, could even see them in the tree. Due to being in very open woods and able to see the birds on the limb wasn't able to get the decoy placed for fear of being seen. Watched 3 birds (at least one gobbler) fly down and made a few calls to let them know I was there. A few minutes after fly down I heard him gobbling coming my way. Soon after I saw him slowly coming my way. At about 30 yards I had a good view of his head and neck and thought I better try the shot rather than let an opportunity pass. Long story short (maybe short story long [emoji6]) the shot didn't connect. I hate missing birds, it means that I did everything right except the final step. Oh well, spit happens, right? Maybe had I waited he would of come in for a closer shot. Super frustrating to hunt so hard for one chance and blow it, but quitters never win. Still have 13 days to get it done. Good luck all, thanks for reading!

I feel your pain but think of all the sunrises you’ve seen, birds you’ve heard, animals you’ve seen, flowers and plants you’ve observed. You have been able experienced spring slowly unfold before your very eyes. You’re blessed!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 4

On 5/18/2020 at 3:45 PM, Kevin J Legg said:

I feel your pain but think of all the sunrises you’ve seen, birds you’ve heard, animals you’ve seen, flowers and plants you’ve observed. You have been able experienced spring slowly unfold before your very eyes. You’re blessed!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Absolutely. Temporarily “working from home”, I have been able to hunt every morning, this is the most time I’ve ever spent hunting and it’s neat to see different things each day I wouldn’t have if at work. The woods is a very peaceful and healing place. In this crazy time I have my health, my job, friends and family! Thanks for the Kind words. 

• Like 1

Hard work finally paid off. I put over 150 miles on the boots this year, 22 days hunted and I scored on a tasty jake! I had a very close call in my lease earlier in the morning, just couldn’t move my gun to get on the big tom without him busting me. So I ventured to some nearby state land, I called in a very talkative hen with was encouraging and after she moved off it was 11:30 so I figured I’d just sit in that area and call. I moved forward on the ridge about 200 yards and let out a call that was immediately answered by a whole bunch of gobbles. I knew I was dealing with jakes at this point and was not about to pass on an opportunity at this point in my season. I sat down and called a couple more times before I heard the footsteps coming. The second one to poke his little head over the ridge got a face full! My first public land bird to boot!

A698A744-8EC3-4F01-859F-654CE98A51FD.jpeg

• Like 5

Hard work finally paid off. I put over 150 miles on the boots this year, 22 days hunted and I scored on a tasty jake! I had a very close call in my lease earlier in the morning, just couldn’t move my gun to get on the big tom without him busting me. So I ventured to some nearby state land, I called in a very talkative hen with was encouraging and after she moved off it was 11:30 so I figured I’d just sit in that area and call. I moved forward on the ridge about 200 yards and let out a call that was immediately answered by a whole bunch of gobbles. I knew I was dealing with jakes at this point and was not about to pass on an opportunity at this point in my season. I sat down and called a couple more times before I heard the footsteps coming. The second one to poke his little head over the ridge got a face full! My first public land bird to boot!
A698A744-8EC3-4F01-859F-654CE98A51FD.thumb.jpeg.e5b1b7a452493bb6128f21d266f48b2a.jpeg

Fantastic!! Good for you for putting in the time. Great job.

22 hours ago, dawsonscreek said:

A698A744-8EC3-4F01-859F-654CE98A51FD.jpeg

Good for you man, way to keep at it!  

Weekend weather looks decent, a bit of a cool down. I supposed I'll try and fill the second tag, I have one nice gobbler hanging around by the house I have a good chance at, just need to figure him out. He's been one step ahead of me every encounter.