Travel restrictions in NewYork

I am concerned with new travel restrictions in NY. Is it legal and responsible to be traveling to go fishing? Seems as though some are still doing it and some charters are still operating. With need for gas, food etc. and distances traveled wondering if this is unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am concerned with new travel restrictions in NY. Is it legal and responsible to be traveling to go fishing? Seems as though some are still doing it and some charters are still operating. With need for gas, food etc. and distances traveled wondering if this is unacceptable.

I’m unsure of legality , but imho , it is irresponsible to risk catching and thereby spreading this virus. I intend to wait and hope that they contain and are able to treat this thing. The sooner it’s contained. The sooner we can all get our lives back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 2

Also being a Thousand Islands resident,where there have been very few cases, I’m not thrilled having people from other highly impacted areas travel to our region. I hear many people are trying to come up to their summer places. This will surely increase the spread.

I was wondering this same thing. I read through the docs I could find and didn't see anything that precluded actually fishing and the actual travelling to fish. This is mainly my inference as to the small group size and not congregating. The increased frequency of shoppers at bait stores/gas stations may get someone in trouble though. Is it spelled out anywhere obvious? If so, I couldn't find it. For instance, Fat Nancy's is still open to sell gas and propane. Could someone go in and buy bait, some spoons and a few Rapalas too? Sure. Could Fat Nancy's, or the shopper get into trouble. I don't have the answer to that question.

Now, God forbid, if someone needed help and required Sheriff or USCG assistance, that's another story. I could see a citation coming in that scenario.

I am putting together a charter fishing boat in Henderson and working on my own. I hope I am ok there. I may have to go to the hardware store. Could I/should I get a citation for that? Once again, I don't have the answer.

Matt

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I personally think we should all just stay home a couple weeks and just see what happens.  We are definitely going to our summer place before walleye season opens.  If i have to be out of work I'm going to do it there where I can fish everyday even if I can't guide.  I figure the more careful I am today the better my chances of fishing in May are... either way I'm moving to the lake in a month!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Silver Fox said:

Haven’t heard of a “travel restriction “.....

That's because there is no "travel restriction". This is the OP's interpretation of the NY PAUSE plan, which is incorrect. The restrictions laid out where aimed at limiting gatherings of people NOT on travel. You are still free to go where ever you want to go, it is recommended that you stay home though (again this is aimed at avoiding gatherings of ppl). But you can go to a state park, go for a walk, ride your bike, work on your boat, go get groceries, etc. They just recommend you do solitary activities and practice "social distancing" when you are out in public.  

• Like 4

That's because there is no "travel restriction". This is the OP's interpretation of the NY PAUSE plan, which is incorrect. The restrictions laid out where aimed at limiting gatherings of people NOT on travel. You are still free to go where ever you want to go, it is recommended that you stay home though (again this is aimed at avoiding gatherings of ppl). But you can go to a state park, go for a walk, ride your bike, work on your boat, go get groceries, etc. They just recommend you do solitary activities and practice "social distancing" when you are out in public.  

Yup I knew that. I was being a bit sarcastic due to people saying their is a travel ban. I need to go fishing again, again and again..

• Like 1

Just now, Silver Fox said:

Yup I knew that. I was being a bit sarcastic due to people saying their is a travel ban. I need to go fishing again, again and again..

Yup I knew that too, I was more addressing the spread of mis-information by the OP than your comment. You just happen to say exactly what I was thinking when I first saw this thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Also what if you have vehicle issue or wheel bearing, tire issue during travel. More people at risk.

While I'm in one of the more rural locations of NJ....this thought more than anything is why I'm going to keep my boat at home for the time being. It kills me but Murphy's law (ie sh*t happens....not my silly governor) is what will keep me at bay for now.  Good luck (fishing and otherwise) to all, I don't blame or look differently on anyone who chooses differently. Granted the pictures will be tough to swallow.

I recognize that it's possible folks who get into trouble on the lake could endanger first responders, but the same is true sitting at home. If you're asymptomatic, IMHO the chances of passing on the virus while fishing (or otherwise enjoying our great outdoors) is very, very minimal. Just don't go holding a "sandbar party" in your boat - stupid, stupid people. That's why all the marinas and launches in Florida were shut down. In that sense, we're lucky that we are the only idiots who'd want to be on the water in this weather.

I guess individuals need to ask themselves what travel is essential and what is the risk. Personally I feel that traveling a long distance is an issue and we need to work diligently for the next few weeks to reduce exposures. It’s not a time to look out only for our own desires.
I’m just over an hour from Mexico but will not be traveling that far for a while even though I’d love to be there.

• Like 3

My wife said she heard that a number of wealthy folks from New York City have traveled to their summer places on Cape Cod and Nantucket.  I don't think that is real smart as there is only one hospital on the Cape (Hyannis) and very little medical support of any kind on the entire Cape. High anxiety can lead to some really poor reasoning:o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gator said:

I recognize that it's possible folks who get into trouble on the lake could endanger first responders, but the same is true sitting at home. If you're asymptomatic, IMHO the chances of passing on the virus while fishing (or otherwise enjoying our great outdoors) is very, very minimal. Just don't go holding a "sandbar party" in your boat - stupid, stupid people. That's why all the marinas and launches in Florida were shut down. In that sense, we're lucky that we are the only idiots who'd want to be on the water in this weather.

You better do more research as most of the transmission occurs when there are no symptoms present, in the range of 48% transmission rate.

The findings mirror those in 2 other recent studies by Dutch and Japanese investigators that also point to the problem of asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19. Japanese researchers looked at the 634 passengers who tested positive for COVID-19 on the Diamond Princess cruise ship. They found that 17.9% of these passengers were asymptomatic. Dutch researchers estimate that the “the proportion of pre-symptomatic transmission was 48% (95%CI 32-67%) for Singapore and 62% (95%CI 50-76%) for Tianjin, China.” 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

My wife said she heard that a number of wealthy folks from New York City have traveled to their summer places on Cape Cod and Nantucket.  I don't think that is real smart as there is only one hospital on the Cape (Hyannis) and very little medical support of any kind on the entire Cape. High anxiety can lead to some really poor reasoning:o

The people of the islands were begging them not to come to the island. My understanding is that all travel to the islands(besides essentials) has been banned.

My brother and his wife live on an Island connected to Monument Beach by a causeway. They are in a pretty good situation to remain un exposed. Seems like to many people are looking at their own safety and desires rather than what’s good for the general population.

• Like 2

The problem is these people own trophy homes how can the government stop you from going to your second home or trophy home even though normally they only go one or two weeks in the summer or Year for that manner money talks they pay the taxes year round

• Like 1

The problem is these people own trophy homes how can the government stop you from going to your second home or trophy home even though normally they only go one or two weeks in the summer or Year for that manner money talks they pay the taxes year round

The advice is to shelter in place. We ALL pay taxes. Just because someone has big bucks they don’t have the right to endanger others. Stay where you are. Bringing the virus to your summer palace is selfish and irresponsible

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hairybumcrack said:

You better do more research as most of the transmission occurs when there are no symptoms present, in the range of 48% transmission rate.

The findings mirror those in 2 other recent studies by Dutch and Japanese investigators that also point to the problem of asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19. Japanese researchers looked at the 634 passengers who tested positive for COVID-19 on the Diamond Princess cruise ship. They found that 17.9% of these passengers were asymptomatic. Dutch researchers estimate that the “the proportion of pre-symptomatic transmission was 48% (95%CI 32-67%) for Singapore and 62% (95%CI 50-76%) for Tianjin, China.” 

I think that I may have been misunderstood. Being a Prof. of Medicine and running a biomedical research lab, I am fully aware that transmission might occur in the absence of symptoms. I will point out, however, that the articles you've referenced have not undergone peer review, but are instead posted on a preprint server, MedRxiv. Hence, you should use caution when extrapolating from their conclusions.

Regardless, that aside, my intention was to convey first, that if you have symptoms, you shouldn't leave your house, period, and second, that fishing alone is unlikely to result in viral transmission, unless you're a fish - and let's hope we never get there. Certainly there is less risk in fishing than in shopping at your favorite grocery store. Particularly if you are COVID positive, but asymptomatic. 

But thank you for the reminder that we all need to be clear so as not to add to the confusion. My apologies.

• Like 7

I misread your response but that is posted on Infection Control Today by a medical doctor.  I would say that is still credible.  More credible than the moronic response above unless you are 15 years old.

Edited by hairybumcrack